Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Linlinlinux
Linuxhelp > Support > Technical Support
ear
the 'architecture isnt supported' when trying to installl inux on external firewire harddrive. i dont want it on my main harddrive with windows xp, is tehre a way i could get around this?
Jay-Jay
Hiya, I'm a bit of newbie myself with linux / all things not Microsoft but . . .

The problem with putting it on a firewire HD is that to my knowledge (I might be wrong) but you need software to get it working . . . therefore you wouldn't be able to boot off it . . . i.e. it needs an OS to make it work. I guess it mite be possible to make a boot disc to make it work. But that'll probably be alot of hassle to get working and very limiting.

You could use somesort of partion creating programme to split up you HD with Win, but you said you didnt' really want to do that, and i'm not really qualified in how to make partions on HD's as my last attempt somehow corrupted my HD and I had to remove all partions and reformat the whole thing before I could use it again!!
blackphiber
now I might be wrong but I don't think you can install any OS on any external hard drive. Sorry.
andrewjenkins
You can run linux off of bizarre hardware, and linux kernel 2.4.20 supports "SBP-2" which it says is for firewire hard disks. I do not have one, so I cannot guarantee anything. I'm assuming you don't have much experience with linux, so this would probably be a distasteful introduction.

What I'd recommend is what I did for my second linux install (about 1999). I bought a second hard drive, about 10GB, and installed that and used it for linux. Pricewatch.com shows a 20GB EIDE internal hard drive for $35.

Another choice would be partition resizing - basically, your hard drive is currently completely allocated in one partition (probably) to windows. What partition resizing will do is take all your data, move it to the beginning of your hard drive, and allow you to reduce the size of the windows partition and make one or more linux partitions in the remaining space. For example, assume your computer came with a 30GB hard drive, all allocated to windows (Windows shows a C: or whatever XP does, with 30GB total space). You'll be able to shrink that by whatever you want (I'd recommend 2-5GB to start). So now you'll have 25GB for windows, and 5GB unallocated. When you install linux, the installer will split the 5GB up in a reasonable way (probably 512MB swap, 4.5GB for root partition) and you'll have linux ready to go.

I strongly recommend that if you go the resizing route, use presizer.exe. Some people have trouble. I've used it probably 10 times or so. If you follow exactly the instructions, you will be fine - even if the power goes out in the middle of resizing, it'll still work without damaging your data, so long as you exactly follow the instructions.

I'd back up sensitive data anyways, though. If you're seriously worried about losing your data, which is perfectly reasonable, buy an extra 20GB hard drive.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.