Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Time Stamp Change On Folders
Linuxhelp > Support > Technical Support
kbanik
I am in the process of changing from Windows to Linux. I have several folders that I need to copy from Windows to Linux, however when I attempted this the time stamp changes. However this only occurs on the folders and not the individual files within the folders. I need to keep the original time stamp on these folders and I am running into problems with this. I would appreciate any help.
garskoci
use cp -pr old_dir new_dir

'p' retains the time and date stamp.
'r' recursive, it will copy the directory and all of its files.
kbanik
I am having a problem with getting the folders and files to be reconized in Linux, when I enter the name of the file it tells me that it doesn't exist. What is the directory on a Windows folder/file? If I put the same file on the Linux drive and then copy it it works fine. I appreciate your help.
garskoci
Sorry, I don't do the dual boot thing. I'm strictly Linux and UNIX. I'm sure that someone else can help with the Windows part.
kbanik
I have come to the point of basically "zipping" the folders in Windows and then "unzipping" them in Linux to move them from one system to another, however when I "unzip" them the time stamp has changed. Do you know how to preserve the time stamp for this? Thanks.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.