Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Triple Booting with Ubuntu
Linuxhelp > Support > Technical Support
Clayman1000x
I asked this question at another forum but have got no answers so I am posting here also.
"I am currently dual booting XP Pro and Win7 Ultimate, all updated and running fine. I want to add Ubuntu 11.10 to the system, I'm fairly new to Linux but not a newbie. Now, I have done this before BUT, I installed Ubuntu inside either XP or 7 (don't quite remember which). When booting up I would get a bootup screen with about 4 to 6 options for booting into Ubuntu, 2 options for some type of repair and an option to boot into Windows, if I accept the last option (boot into windows), I get another boot screen asking for XP or Win 7, I would like this to be the same after I reinstall Ubuntu to it's own partition and this time I want to partition an area of my boot drive for Ubuntu. I currently run a 85g partition for XP (my main OS), a 45g partition for Win 7 and will add a new 40g partition on the storage partition, (currently 338gb) for Ubuntu and the rest is storage space, I have plenty of space for this. I am currently moving all the stuff in the storage part to another drive.

I hope I explained well what I am trying to do:

The real question is what do I need to be prepared for and what steps do I do if the boot screen doesn't give me what I need. I would like this to go smoothly and I already have Ubuntu 11.04 on my other pc and am getting used to the Unity interface, not as bad as what I have been reading IMO. I would love any suggestions someone might have.
The reason I am doing all this is because my Biostar 6100-M9 MB gave out on me and I replaced it with an Asus A8N-VM, 939 socket board so I lost my installs but nothing important, I never keep important stuff (thank god for live cd's and gparted) on my boot partitions, that is what my storage is for."
By the way, when I am done and everything is working fine I am going to backup the OS partitions with Macrium Reflect and store them on the other drive.
michaelk
Typically installers create multiple partitions so it is best to provide some unallocated space. Select to use the unallocated space and not an existing partition when the installer asks. The installer should also pick up your existing windows and add that to the boot loader too so in theory it will be like before.
Clayman1000x
Allright, I bit the bullet and installed 11.10 64bit. I had made an "unallocated" partition of 50gb of a 338.8gb partition using windows hoping the install would grab that 50gb and install there. But what it did was add both "unallocated sections together again and install to the whole 338.8gb. Now I need to shrink this but can't find gparted in the system settings page. I also can't get internet going because it doesn't seem to find the USB Netgear wireless dongle. I tried using "MiniTool Partition Wizard Home Edition" to shrink the partition but it won't do it.
My main problem now is getting the wireless adapter to work, but I would need to find the drivers in windows and stick them on a flash drive to upload to Ubuntu. After that I can down;oad the packages including gparted to shrink the Ubuntu Partition. Help!
michaelk
You can download a live version here:
http://gparted.sourceforge.net/livecd.php

What is the model number of the wireless adapater?
Clayman1000x
I am installing this to a live usb at this moment, will come back and let you know what happens. The wireless adapter is a netgear wna3100 802.11 b/g/n, I have seen a lot of posts over at Ubuntu forums concerning this adapter and it looks pretty daunting, I know absolutely nothing about the terminal or how to use it.
I have to ask why the Linux community doesn't have Linux type installers such as windows uses where I can download to flash, upload to Ubuntu and install without the terminal, that would be really nice.
Clayman1000x
The live usb worked, Linux install is now 49.99gb, with a 2gb partition at the end of the drive. Now I have a 286.96gb free space, I click to partition and all I can do is logical drive, not sure what that means so I will Google it. I have a pic but can't upload it. Thank you for your help with this, now all I need is internet and it is good to go.
michaelk
I agree that trying to get this wireless adapter to work will not be easy.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/29833-43...wna3100-adapter

All of the major distributions have a package manger with a GUI so installing software as long as it is in the their repositories is fairly easy.

No problem, all is good. A logical partition is a way to divide a hard drive into more then 4 partitions. It was a limitation when hard drives were first developed for the PC. Since then if the 4 partitions are primaries. If a primary is tagged as a extended partition (container for logical partitions ) additional logical partition can then be created.
Clayman1000x
So as a workaround, how would I download the package for this adapter to a flash drive on my other machine that has an internet connection with a Dlink wireless card, Ubuntu had no trouble with that adapter a all, installed from the word go. The last time I tried using the package manager it didn't download to the desktop or anything to move it, so how do I send it to the flash drive to install on this machine.
Victory Red got it to work and posted how:

"Ok here it is......

Download ndiswrapper source code from sourceforge.

Add the following to ntoskernal_io.c

wstdcall NTSTATUS WIN_FUNC(IoUnregisterPlugPlayNotification,1)
(void *tag)
{
TRACE2("%p", tag);
TODO(); /* Probably Not, legacy function abandoned in Windows 7 */
IOEXIT(return STATUS_SUCCESS); /* Linux doesn't use it either */
}

Do the following:
sudo make uninstall
make
make install

then check the version to make sure the changes got in.

ndiswrapper -v
utils version: '1.9', utils version needed by module: '1.9'
module details:
filename: /lib/modules/2.6.32-24-generic-pae/misc/ndiswrapper.ko
version: 1.56
vermagic: 2.6.32-24-generic-pae SMP mod_unload modversions 586TSC

then cd over to the directory that contains bcmwlhigh5.inf & .sys or specify the directory in the following command line

ndiswrapper -i bcmwlhigh5.inf or ndiswrapper -i wherever\wna3100

then
ndiswrapper -l
WARNING: All config files need .conf: /etc/modprobe.d/ndiswrapper, it will be ignored in a future release.
bcmwlhigh5 : driver installed
device (0846:9020) present

finally

ndiswrapper -l
WARNING: All config files need .conf: /etc/modprobe.d/ndiswrapper, it will be ignored in a future release.
bcmwlhigh5 : driver installed
device (0846:9020) present

finally use the wireless network manager to setup your new wireless lan."

I honestly have no idea what he did or what I need to do. I have already downloaded "ndiswrapper-1.57rc1" but have no idea what to do with it, I just don't understand. I would really like to understand this terminal thing better but it is really tough going back and forth between XP and Ubuntu.
Adain thanks for all your help.
Clayman1000x
Can someone help me with this adapter? wna3100?
Clayman1000x
Since this particular topic is solved I am going to call it closed and repost for help with this wna3100 adapter instead of trying to do this here.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.