Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Problems with dual booting
Linuxhelp > Support > Technical Support
KingsvilleGeology
I have just installed Fedora 15 on a partition of my hard drive with Windows on another partition. Fedora boots just fine, but I cannot find a way to boot back into Windows. I have tried entering the Boot Manager to select Windows at start up and I have two options: Fedora and "Other". When I select Other, I get a message that says BOOTMNGR not located (not exact wording). Does anybody have an idea what might be wrong? Under "Devices" in the files overview, there is a listing for OS that has all the information from my C: drive (on the Windows partition). I have not mistakenly erased my Windows system, but I cannot get back to it.
This is my first attempt at dual booting, so any information you might have on this issue is more than I know.
Thanks folks.
michaelk
Does the computer have a restore partition?
Post the /boot/grub/grub.conf file.
KingsvilleGeology
QUOTE (michaelk @ Aug 14 2011, 04:35 PM) *
Does the computer have a restore partition?
Post the /boot/grub/grub.conf file.

Thanks for replying. I've checked around the Fedora forums and found the problem. Apparently when I installed Fedora following Vista, the grub made the BIOS look in the wrong partition for the Vista boot manager. I checked cat /boot/grub/grub.conf and the computer was mistakenly looking in the Dell Utility partition for the boot loader. I edited grub.conf and everything is working perfectly. Judging from the number of threads that addressed the subject, it is a common problem with dual booting. Thank God for forums.

Thanks for commenting.
Archo
Will take it into account, KingsvilleGeology. Right now i'm also running Vista and am planning to switch on.. good luck to me.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.