Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Lost Mouse
Linuxhelp > Support > Technical Support
sjzabel
Hi,
I am a newbie running SuSE 8.0 pro.

I had my mouse working (USB Logitech trackball)
but I messed with one setting to many (in the Yast Menu) and now the mouse will not move.

How do I set it back to something safer (or to possible the correct setting)

thanks,
Stephen
sjzabel
So Far I'm going off of this post

If you are switching between the USB Mouse and the USB/PS/2 adapter, you need to make sure that everything is configured right.

For PS/2 Connection:

In your /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 file, make sure that in your INPUT section, the mouse device points to /dev/psaux and that the Protocol is "PS/2".

For USB Connection:

You need to make sure that your USB subsystem is up and running, most times a distribution like Mandrake and Redhat will do this automatically. The device to access a USB mouse is most likely "/dev/input/mouse", to test to see if the system is reading the mouse, type:

cat /dev/input/mouse

...and move around your mouse, you should see a bunch of garbage characters fly accross the screen, this shows that your mouse is in working order. In that case, you can edit the file mentioned above in the same section and change the device to /dev/input/mouse .

--------------------
Corey Quilliam
Advanced Member - Board Admin
tourettes@linuxhelp.ca
http://www.thegoodtimes.ca

--
Debian GNU/Linux 3.0 (Woody)
Asus A7N266-E w/ Athlon XP 1800+
nVidia Geforce 2 MX200 64MB
512 MB PC2100 Samsung DDR
nVidia Nforce Chipset / Maxtor 80gig Quiet Version HDD
sjzabel
got it : )

Ok
I did what the previous post had said, except I found that it wasn't "/dev/input/mouse" it was "/dev/input/mouse0"

Please let me know if I did anything wrong (but at least I am seeing my mouse)

Thanks, Stephen
sjzabel
dammmm...
ok, it worked for a little while (including a reboot or two) and then I kill my screen and had to do a ctrl-alt-del reboot and now the mouse doesn't work again.

Man this sucks,
-Stephen
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.