Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 2 hard drives for dual boot ubuntu/XP
Linuxhelp > Support > Life after Windoze
Godeszila
Hi,
thanks in advance for the help, and please give me all instructions in your best "for dummy's" version.

I have 2 SATA hard drives. Drive 0 has Windows XP, and is labeled Drive H: (I have no Idea why, but I understand that now I cannot change it to C)
Drive 1 has Ubuntu. Both Drives/systems boot if I go into the bios and indicate which drive I wish to use. I don't want to use the bios. How can I make this a dual boot system?

I found the boot options in windows and got the boot screen to give me a choice between XP and Ubuntu, but when I select Ubuntu it boots XP anyway.

This is what my boot.ini currently looks like-
<
[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect
multi(1)disk(1)rdisk(1)partition(1)\root="Ubuntu" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect
>

I did a lot of web research and then tried my best.... I didn't find much on dual boot using two drives.

thanks again for the help.
michaelk
You need to add windows to your grub menu. No mention of what ubuntu version but will assume the latest and therefore using grub2.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDf_fRAophc

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.