Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Xf86config !help! Startx
Linuxhelp > Support > Technical Support
grasshopper
I really need some help here ...

just got debian linux (woody) installed on my system, but I can't startx!!!
I generate a base XF86Config file using xf86config but when I type startx, it says it has trouble with the video card. I can post exact error msgs and XF86Config file that I'm using if it helps.
My hardware:
ViewSonic VX700 17" LCD Monitor
**ATI All-in-Wonder Radeon 7500
*ViewSonic USB mouse
*ViewSonic USB keyboard

What should I put in the XF86Config file for the above items (the number of stars indicate what I think is causing the most trouble)????

Driver "ati" and "radion" doesn't seem to work sad.gif

I've searched on the web for info and tried many things but it's still not working ... arrrrr!
Please help...
digitalturbulence
try to use this config program:
dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86
grasshopper
I tried your suggestion about using dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86 (which I found to be a friendlier utility) .... but it still doesn't work ... arrrg!

Here is the output from xserver:
========
(II) ATI: ATI driver (version 6.3.6) for chipsets: ati, atirga
(II) R128: Driver for ATI Rage Chipsets: ...
(II) Radeon: Driver for ATI Radeon Chipset: ...
(EE) No devices detected.

Fatal server error:
no screens found

X connection to :0.0 broken (explicit kill or server shutdown)

===========

Any suggestions would be SO appreciated!
Corey
Not to be nit-picky, but, you did put in "radeon" instead of "radion" right? I'm pretty sure you did, just wanted to state it.

Do have an on-board video chip as well? And your radeon is a second card that you put into the system? I had a similar problem with my girlfriend's system when I put in an addon card and it was still picking up the on-board video, i believe I fixed that in the bios. That's all I can think of.
digitalturbulence
QUOTE (grasshopper @ May 20 2003, 02:18 AM)
I tried your suggestion about using dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86 (which I found to be a friendlier utility) .... but it still doesn't work ... arrrg!

Here is the output from xserver:
========
(II) ATI: ATI driver (version 6.3.6) for chipsets: ati, atirga
(II) R128: Driver for ATI Rage Chipsets: ...
(II) Radeon: Driver for ATI Radeon Chipset: ...
(EE) No devices detected.

Fatal server error:
no screens found

X connection to :0.0 broken (explicit kill or server shutdown)

===========

Any suggestions would be SO appreciated!

do you use the testing version?
if not: apt-setup

did you made an apt-get update and apt-get upgrade
apt-get dist-upgrade

to get the lastest xserver version.
grasshopper
In reply to "tourettes", thanks for the pointer. I checked and yes I did type in "radeon" not "radion". Ya, I guess that wasn't a very good place for a typo wink.gif Thanks for catching it.

In reply to "digitalturbulence": I am running the stable version not the testing version.

I looked into the bios settings as "tourettes" suggested and discovered that there was no entry for disabling the on board VGA with my BIOS version. bummer.

My current version of xserver-xfree86 is 4.1.0-16 and I think I should be using version 4.2.1-6 so I've been trying to upgrade.
The internet connection on my linux compter is flaky at the moment (I'm going to tackle this after my xserver works), so I downloaded the
xserver-xfree86_4.2.1-6.deb
package from the web (using another computer) and copied it to a newly created /debs directory on my hard drive.

I thought it would be simple, but I can't seem to use apt or dpkg or dselect to install and upgrade my xserver from a local file! Darn!

I was trying to follow the APT-HOWTO (section 2.2 = How to use APT locally), but it's really unclear. At a crucial point in the document it states "To use the packages, finally add: deb file:/root debs/ After that just use the APT commands as usual." Pardon? add that text to what? A command? A file? ... confusing. I guess it wasn't written for newbies or maybe I'm missing something obvious. (I don't mean to dis the howto, since it was really considerate of someone to write it... section 2.2 just seemed a bit incomplete, that's all).

Okay, now for my question. The .deb file (the xserver update) is just sitting in the directory /debs on my hardrive. Could someone please list what commands I need to run on it to install the package? Then I can report whether the newer xserver version fixes the video driver problem.

Frustratingly yours,

Grasshopper.
Hemant
#include <LGPL.h>
Well,you can try but LGPL......

In my chemical engg dept i have recently installed Redhat-8.0(coz we wanted do a project using QT and there was no linux machine in my dept).

and that machine has the same ATI radeon video card.and debian release is a bit older(i failed to install it on my computer).so i think this will solve ur problem.

but sorry for debian.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.