Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Red Hat 7.3 Intallation Problem
Linuxhelp > Support > Technical Support
cmlo
Hi, When I tried to install RH 7.3 on my 32Mb, Pentium MMX last nite, everything went smoothly until after I make the 'package selection' and it says 'formatting' but then nothing happens, it just frozed. Then i try to reinstall again but this time it says the cdrom not recognised. I do not have any OS on the pc, so everytime i try to boot using the red hat cdrom, it says 'missing operating system'. So I then try using the boot disk which works but the following error showed:

cramfs: wrong magic
FAT: unable to read boot sector
isofs_read_super: bread failed, dev=09:00, iso_blknum=16, block=32
Kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on 09:00
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Please tell me what I did wrong.

Many thanks!
cmlo
Corey
Does your bios support booting from cdrom? If so, check the CMOS to make sure that it is set to check the cdrom for an OS.

When using a bootdisk, make sure it is a bootdisk that boots into the installation, and not just any old Linux bootdisk, because any other bootdisk will attempt to boot into an existing installation and will look for the rootfs on your hard drive. If you have access to another computer, such as the one you are posting here from, then pop the Redhat cd into the drive and check for a DOSUTILS directory (or similar) and instructions for making a proper installation bootdisk.

The last option would be to get a windows bootdisk that allows you to boot into MS-DOS mode (with cdrom support) so you can go into the cd from DOS and run the autoboot.bat file to boot into the redhat installation.

One more note, you may experience a lot of slowdown when using a distribution like Redhat 7.3 on a lower-end computer. To be honest with you, I don't even think Redhat 7.3 will install with only 32Mb of ram, at the very best, it will install without XFree86. You should look at some other distribution like Slackware or Debian, or upgrade with some ram which is pretty cheap these days.
cmlo
Many thanks for the suggestions. Yes I can boot from the cdrom but my cdrom doesn't seem to work or too slow so I borrowed another from a fren and the installation went OK until the part of installing packages, then it hang. Then i reboot and reinstall, this time checking for bad blocks which showed a huge amount of errors. So i have decided the pc is useless or does anyone have suggestion on wat else can I play it with?

The pc is around 8 years old

Plus I can't seem to find the cdrom drive when I put back my old cdrom. How do I get it back in Dos and have it back in D:?
Thanks.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.