Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Linux wrote over Vista!!! Help
Linuxhelp > Support > Technical Support
kajm
Hi All,

I needed to install Fedora Core 2 as an alternative operating system. Its so old that my hard drive did not recognise it so I downloaded Fedora 10 and excepted the default settings in installation and to my horror I no longer have Vista! I'm most certainly freaking out as I did not receive Vista installation CDs since it was already installed . I tried booting from the factory default disks I made but they failed.
What do I do????
michaelk
Without knowing how it is partitioned it is difficult to tell. If there was a recovery partition that was wiped out during the install that would cause the restore disks to fail.
There are many live CDs like knoppix that will let you examine the hard drive without the possibility doing any more "damage" However if the Fedora installation reformated the entire
drive then some data file might be recoverable but it will not be very easy and most likely Vista will not.
docmur
Trust me there is nothing bad about writting over Vista, writting over any Windows install is a good thing, wipe of the enemy and leave only the true soliders
here2serve
When you boot the system you will see a prompt that says "hit any key" to see the boot menu. If installed using the defaults for partioning then you will most likely see an option "other". That's where vista is.
rickymartin4545
QUOTE (kajm @ Mar 14 2009, 07:33 AM) *
Hi All,

I needed to install Fedora Core 2 as an alternative operating system. Its so old that my hard drive did not recognise it so I downloaded Fedora 10 and excepted the default settings in installation and to my horror I no longer have Vista! I'm most certainly freaking out as I did not receive Vista installation CDs since it was already installed . I tried booting from the factory default disks I made but they failed.
What do I do????

Difficult to say at the moment. Does SuSE boot successfully?
Are there any restore partitions?

Pawn Shop NY
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.