Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The Ubiquitous graphics problem
Linuxhelp > Support > Hardware Support
z4ks
Hi, I have Fedora 9, and an nVidia GeForce 8400GS. With both Ubuntu and Fedora, I can only get silly resolutions. My monitor's native resolution is 1440 x 900 @75Hz. According to Fedora, the resolution is 1360 x 768 @60Hz. According to my monitor, the resolution is 1280 x 768 @60Hz. This is without proprietary drivers. I tried EnvyNG on Ubuntu, plus nVidia's drivers, but that only results in the loading screen being a nice resolution but when I log on it is a really low resolution. So I'm better off without drivers. But is there anyway to get my proper resolution? It is a nuisance for many things. You CAN be technical, if you have any suggestions. Thanks.
arochester
I use Kubuntu and had the same kind of problems you describe in Ubuntu. I has 8.04. I did a reinistall - 8.04.1. I used the app Hardware Device Manager and ticked the Nvidia box. This downloaded the latest driver. I rebooted and Nvidia was installed...
z4ks
Yes, but when I install the driver, I get a low resolution. Without the driver, I get a higher resolution. That's dumb, not so?
DS2K3
You may need to install the driver and then recondifugre. nvidia provide a custom toolo for this, run (as root) nvidia-settings - It will not only allow you to change stabdard X settings like resolution and colour depth but also nvidia-specific settings like twinview and digital vibrance.

D
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.