Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Errno 111 & 3
Linuxhelp > Support > Technical Support
twisted1
My computer recently went crazy on me. I am running RedHat 7.I think it might have got surged but not sure since its my work one . When it boots it only goes into command line and when I try startx it gives me:
Fatal server error:
Can't read lock file /tmp/.X0-lock

When reporting a problem bla bla............

xinit: Connection refused (errno111): unable to connect to X server
xinit: No such process (errno 3): Server error.
xauth: error in locking auhtority file /root/.Xauthority

What can I do to get it back working? I tried to back up the stuff I was working on to a floppy but it won't let me mount it.
Also if it comes down to it and I need to reload Linux will it destrot all my work?
Please Help me sad.gif
Joey
Can you try running startx as root and see if it loads up X.
If so then you have a permissions problem.

Is XFS running in the background?
jetblackz
People brag about how easy Windows is. Less than half of them use safe-mode or know what recovery console is.

Linux distros have a similar thing called rescue: boot RH CD1 and either enter "rescue" or select it from a menu. Point to your Linux. Once you get command lines, mount the partition and chroot /mnt/tmp (whatever it is). Back up all files. Reinstall.
twisted1
I tried using startx and thats when I get the error numbers. I also tried using the rescue CD which I do know about and is usaully the first thing I do besides a boot disk when ever a sysytem crashes but my disk got abused and isnt helping out much. So what I'm going to do is bring my copy of knoppix from home into work with me tomorrow and I will let you all know how it works. Which, technically, should be the answer. I don't know why I didn't think of it before but it was one of those Homer Simpson "DUH!!" moments in the middle of the night. Fingers are crossed. Thanks for the info.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.