Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Replacing text in all files of a directory
Linuxhelp > Support > Programming in Linux
Hey all,

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help me out with this... Here's what I'm trying to do:

Basically I have a webpage (a pretty big one) with a bunch of html/jsp files. Recently, I was asked to change one of the three main directories' name. So instead of now everything's gonna be The problem here's that every link inside my files is gonna be wrong; Instead of linking to /name2 it's gonna link to /name1. Since there are a lot of files I was wondering if there was a way I could do this automatically.

There are a couple of extra things that have to be kept in mind... For instance, these html files might contain the word name1 (i.e. in a paragraph) and I don't want to do any replacing there. I think it should find instances of /name1* and replace them... I think we'd be fine with that...

Am I way over my head or is this possible?
Very easy.

In your favorite text editor.

for i in $( ls *.html); do
sed 'find/replace string goes here' $i

chmod 744 filename (to be executable only by root.)
To execute file:

Use \/name1 in order to use the / in your search string.

BTW typically for most linux distributions you must be root to edit files in the web server's directories.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.