Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Newbie In Search Of Answer
Linuxhelp > Support > Technical Support
sontag2
OK, I know nothing, but I want to delve and actually loaded Linux Mandrake 9.1 onto my computer. I shrank the partition allocated to WIN98, and it still works fine. I scandisked, defragged, yadda yadda. I installed Linux Mandrake 9.1 and allowed boot loader so that i can choose at startup what OS i use. After the install was complete I try to boot into Linux. It seems to be booting (thats what it says it is doing) going through mudule dependencies, checking for new hardware, doing ALSA APM and ATD..and CUPS? Anyhow during this process, at some point, the screen goes blank (I was perfectly abl;e to see what wa going on prior) and the monitor goes into power save as if no power is being sent from the computer through the video card???

Am I doing something totally wrong?

-Michael
Corey
It sounds like your settings for your X server aren't setup correctly.

What happens on a Mandrake install is that during the bootup process, Mandrake is displaying console with all the boot messages, towards the end of the process, Mandrake will start KDM for your graphical interface, this is when, by the sounds of it, that your monitor turns off on you. When the screen goes blank, try to press Ctrl+Alt+Backspace to try and kill the X-Server, if this does nothing, try Ctrl+Alt+F1, this should bring you to your console login. Here you can login as root with the password you set during installation, and then you can run xf86config to re-configure your graphical system choosing the correct monitor and correct video card. If you'd like to edit the config file manually, you can do that with /etc/X11/XF86Config-4.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.