Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Help regarding Fedora 8
Linuxhelp > Support > Technical Support
Healy
Hello! Just got my self a copy of Fedora 8 (i386 don't know if i needed to include that but if anyone knows what that bit stands for would be great to know). Basically i've always been a windows users from 95 onward and i'm wanting to try out somthing a little bit different. I'm currently running Vista Home Premium and have noticed when i installed that it split my HDD in 2 (C/D Drive) leaving 61.9 unused. Would i be able to install Fedora on this without interfearing with my copy of windows and select from the boot up menu which O.S i'm wanting use? If so how would i go about doing so? Any help would be much appreciated!

System Spec if required:

AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4200+ 2.2GHz
4GB Geil Ram
Geforce6100SM-M2 Motherboard with NVIDIA MCP61S Chipset
NVIDIA 512mb / 128bit / GDDR3 /Dual - link DVI / HDMI 8600GTS Super Graphics card.
-------------------------------------
P.S Sorry for the bad english/grammer which no doubt there probally will be its not one of my strong points.
-------------------------------------
P.P.S Amusing rank tongue.gif
michaelk
i386 actually means 80386 which is one of the 32bit processors built by Intel. Intel designed their CPUs to be backward compatable so anything
compiled for older CPUs will work on all newer CPUs. The 80386 is basically the oldest CPU that linux will run on. In addition x86 means any 32bit Intel CPU.
You can find a wikipedia page detailing the history of Intel microprocessors. BTW you could install the 64bit version

By unused space you mean unallocated i.e. drive space that is not part of your C or D drive then yes. If no then you will need to resize your existing partitions
which can be done by the instsaller. Fedora will install a bootloader (grub) that will be able to boot both windows and linux.
Healy
Thanks for that!! As soon as i read your message i went and installed it and well i'm most pleased with it i'm currently using the Fedora O.S as i type this and it seems GREAT!!! also thank **** it has firefox!!!!!!
malcolm
QUOTE (Healy @ Mar 12 2008, 07:26 PM) *
Thanks for that!! As soon as i read your message i went and installed it and well i'm most pleased with it i'm currently using the Fedora O.S as i type this and it seems GREAT!!! also thank **** it has firefox!!!!!!

Not Fedora OS but Linux
DS2K3
Not Linux but GNU/Linux :-)

I suppose this really depends what you consider to be an operating system - TBH I think calling it Fedora OS is acceptable, even if a huge part of the "actual" OS is Linux, GNU/Linux or whatever else anyone wants to call it.

It does raise the question - Where does the operating system end?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.