Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: accessing data from linux drive with a windows laptop?
Linuxhelp > Support > Technical Support
sawdust
The power supply on my linux box is dead. I was using a Power Mac G4 running xbuntu. My other PC running xp also fried. I am left with a laptop running XP and a stack of hard drives with data that I want.

I have a serial to usb cable that I use to get data off the windows drives using my lap. Is there any way I can recover the data on the linux drives using this same set up?

Greatly appreciate any help with this. I'm in a bind and need a way to do this this weekend.
sawdust
I'm hoping people don't confuse this with a Samba related problem. I just want to hook the linux drive into my laptops usb port and get the data. I thought maybe I could run a live Linux cd in the lap?

Any thoughts?
michaelk
Sure you can run any LiveCD and be able to access your data assuming it has support for the drives file system. Make sure your using a recent LiveCD to have the
best NTFS write support if your intending to copy the data to your windows drive.

For ext2/3 you can run IFS for windows and be able to access your data directly from windows.
arochester
I cannot guarantee that it will work, but try booting your laptop with a Linux LiveCD. Knoppix is maybe the best to recover data from windows. Have a look at http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/linux/library/l-knopx.html or http://lifehacker.com/software/disk-recove...t-cd-192982.php
sawdust
Thanks. I couldn't get the IFS to work. I'm pretty sure my old file system was ext. 2. It saw the drive but no luck. But I ended up running Kubuntu live and no problems at all. I thought it was going to be harder than that.

Sigh, what a mess having all this computer equipment around and not being able to use it. I miss my old set up big time. Time to rebuild.

Thanks guys
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.