Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Converting To Linux
Linuxhelp > In The Community > General Discussion
LinuxConversion
Hey Guys,
I am just here to ask a good specific question. Okay, I run two machines in my room one Is my gaming machine which of course run Windows XP. But really do not like using it as a workstation. I am a pretty fast learner I have already messed around with Knoppix 5.1.1 Which i really am not that fond of even with all the features it comes with. I am now looking at Mandriva distro cause i hear its based off Red Hat, which is from i hear 'The King Distro OF Linux' but not wanting to pay $80.00 bucks for. I am also wanting to make a server out of the machine as a proxy server while at work I will have no trouble finding a blocked Proxy Site to check my Personal Email's. My specs on this machine as follows:
AMD Athlon XP 1.5 GHz , 512MB Ram, 32Mb Video Card (Radeon 7000 With DIV Hookup) 160 GB Hard drive (149.89 GB) Asrock MB. SO Can U guys help me out?
michaelk
Ubuntu is a good begineer distribution but if your wanting something Redhat based then go with Fedora or CentOS.
DS2K3
Fedora is my current favourite, at least since Mandriva went all commercial. My friend (also new to Linux) is currently in love with OpenSuse so maybe look at that.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.