Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Please help...
Linuxhelp > Support > Technical Support
yol
Hi, I am new to linux and i am trying to figure out a certain "how-to" - i have tried several distributions like Ubuntu, Fedora, Debian, DSL, Open SUSE, Mandrive and CentOS - i literaly installed each of them just to "feel" them.
to be honest - from the first installation i made, i was charmed. OK, just installing and using it under the GUI is completely straight forward however i want to do something that is a bit more complicated for my current knowledge - i do not need the GUI as i only want a specific program (Kino Video Editor) to load itself and using an onscreen keyboard and touch screen to operate the program untill i exit and power-off.
for now i know it is something to be done through the command line so i have started to learn some basic command line functions and came to know the structure of the system but i need help.
Thanks, Yol.
michaelk
Welcome to LinuxHelp.

What howto are you trying to figure out?
What distribution are you currently running?
So what are your questions?
yol
QUOTE (michaelk @ Feb 24 2008, 06:59 PM) *
Welcome to LinuxHelp.

What howto are you trying to figure out?
What distribution are you currently running?
So what are your questions?

Hi, i am not sure which distribution i should use thats the first thing.
the second is that i need to know ho to make a system that will only load Kino DV (i do not need the X window and the GUI) automatically soon as the computer is turned on.
thanks.
michaelk
BTW in the future please use a more descriptive title.

Any distribution can be setup without x, to auto login and start running an application. Since distributions are slightly different it is somewhat difficult to provide
help. Which one did you like the best?

However, after looking at kino DV it requires a GUI so not sure what you are trying to do.
yol
QUOTE (michaelk @ Feb 24 2008, 08:22 PM) *
BTW in the future please use a more descriptive title.

Any distribution can be setup without x, to auto login and start running an application. Since distributions are slightly different it is somewhat difficult to provide
help. Which one did you like the best?

However, after looking at kino DV it requires a GUI so not sure what you are trying to do.

Hi michaelk,
i am new to linux so all my "want to do..." things i am describing i want to do are not based on knowing Linux but rather on not knowing it. i dont care which distribution to use as long as it does what i want. i even came across GeexBox which has a GUI and is a 8MB completely RAM loaded OS which i now know can be converted to whatever application you want it to do. again, i dont know the implications of the things i want to do as i am new to this.
when i tried Ubuntu for example i learned how to add packages (download, configure, complie and make them) through the terminal (not the GUI) so i think something similar to that is doable with (for example) the GeexBox meaning preinstalling the packages i need, adding some automated instruction to the boot procedure and eventually have Kino only loaded.
thanks again.
michaelk
Ok Ubuntu is a good beginner distribution. You can configure autologin using this command
sudo gdmsetup

And autostart an application
System > Preferences > Sessions > Startup Programs
yol
QUOTE (michaelk @ Feb 25 2008, 11:34 AM) *
Ok Ubuntu is a good beginner distribution. You can configure autologin using this command
sudo gdmsetup

And autostart an application
System > Preferences > Sessions > Startup Programs

Well the thing is Ubunto seems (to my narrow opinion) too big for my application. my aim is to use GeexBox but patch it to my needs.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.