Hi all.

I've been running openSUSE 10.3 for a while now and all has been running smoothly. I've been trying to use a wifi usb dongle to connect to my home network. (New baby has evicted me from my den and sent me to the other end of the house) I've made sure I've bought one that comes with a linux driver but I'm having all sorts of problems getting it installed. I've untard the files and they're sitting in the directory /root/ralink but when I run the install script it came with I get the error:

make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-2.6.22.17-0.1-obj/i386/default'
make[1]: *** No rule to make target `modules'. Stop.
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.6.22.17-0.1-obj/i386/default'
rt73.ko failed to build!
make: *** [module] Error 1

I think this is due to the fact that it's looking for a kernel called "linux-2.6.22.17-0.1-obj/i386/default'" and the kernel I'm using is "2.6.22.17-0.1-default"

My questions are these:
Can I redirect the install script to work with the kernel I'm using?
Can I install these drivers without using the install script?
Do I need to upgrade my kernel?

Pease forgive me if I sound dense but I've spent the last week or so looking at how-to guides and FAQs to find out why it won't work. Upgrading the kernel looks like a long and painful process, as does installing (patching?) these drivers into the existing one. I couldn't even get the mkbootdisk command to work.

I've very recently given the system an online update so I should have the latest version of openSUSE. I'll include the contents of the /root/ralink dir here:

install_rt61_rt73.sh
rt73-cvs-2006123101
set_essid.py
rt61-1.1.0-b1.tar.gz
rt73-cvs-2006123101.tar.gz

Any help, or even gentle encouragement, would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

pr6srn
Middlesbrough
UK