Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: NEED HELP!
Linuxhelp > Support > Technical Support
master8899
Hi,

I have a IBM Thinkpad, Model R51 that runs linux. I was starting the laptop up and after when it says IBM Thinkpad it go's to a black screen and says:

GRUB Loading stage1.5.

GRUB loading, please wait...
Error 17

It usually says that except it doesn't say: Error 17.

If anyone knows what I should do that would be great.

I NEED HELP WITHIN THE HOUR!!
IF YOU ARE A GUEST AND READING THIS THEN SIGN UP AND HELP ME!!!
DS2K3
Looks like your boot loader is borked. I would reinstall it.

Also, and I'm very sorry about this, it is just because I am a grammar Nazi, the present-simple form of "to go" is "goes".
master8899
QUOTE (DS2K3 @ Feb 1 2008, 04:45 PM) *
Looks like your boot loader is borked. I would reinstall it.

Also, and I'm very sorry about this, it is just because I am a grammar Nazi, the present-simple form of "to go" is "goes".

How do I reinstall my boot loader? I don't even know what it is!
DS2K3
I WOULD have continued to help you this morning (yes, there is a fairly large time difference between us) I do not appreciate all-caps personal messages requesting that I "ANSWER [your] FREAKING QUESTION". Since you are rude, I am now an Englishman scorned, and I am going to Brighton today to visit my friend from Malawi: No, I will not answer your "freaking" question and will instead leave you with the post-event advice, that you should have had a backup
master8899
QUOTE (DS2K3 @ Feb 2 2008, 02:42 AM) *
I WOULD have continued to help you this morning (yes, there is a fairly large time difference between us) I do not appreciate all-caps personal messages requesting that I "ANSWER [your] FREAKING QUESTION". Since you are rude, I am now an Englishman scorned, and I am going to Brighton today to visit my friend from Malawi: No, I will not answer your "freaking" question and will instead leave you with the post-event advice, that you should have had a backup

You sure are a lot of help. LOSER!!!!!! YOU GO DRINK YOUR JOLLY GOOD TEA, WITH YOUR STUPID ENGLISH ACCENT!!!!
michaelk
Demanding help from people that volunteer their free time is very rude. Not providing enough information like what distribution / version you are running or is this
a fresh install or have you been successfully booting from the PC for awhile makes us have to ask you many more questions thus delaying a proper answer.
Is this a dual boot computer or is linux the only installed operating system.

In the mean time you can google for help.

BTW.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Master_boot_record
http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/manual/ht.../index.html#Top
DS2K3
YOU GO DRINK YOUR JOLLY GOOD TEA, WITH YOUR STUPID ENGLISH ACCENT!!!!

I had a lovely cup of tea on Brighton pier, thank you for your concern over my tea-related well being. I'm afraid I was unable to find my stupid English accent, so I made do with my usual one instead. I do declare that I feel another tea-break coming on. Tally-ho!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.