Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: I changed Permissions, now I cannot get anywhere? Help!!
Linuxhelp > Support > Technical Support
Coffee1970
Hello and thanks for reading.....

I recently tried to install some games such as MAME and needed to change the permission of the USR folder because I could not copy any roms into the folder...an error came up and said that I did not have permission to do so.

I went into termninal and became the root (Ubuntu), and typed--

chmod /usr -rwxrwxrwx...or something like that..I know, I know...what the heck am I doing? I have no idea...

Well, I guessed it worked because all the icons changed into something else and the system went out.
Tried to restart ( and shut off, then on )...only thing that comes up is a box with a big red circle and a bunch of little squares...no letters, just little symbols that I cannot read.

There is a box you can click, but it has squares too, no letters. Click on it, and the same thing happens over and over...nothing!

Can this be fixed or do I need to re-install everything.
And I just got all those neat 3-D effects working!!! AARRGGHHH!!!!

If anyone can help, it would be appreciated!

Thank you,
Brian.
michaelk
I have not played with Ubuntu so not sure what files are in /usr. However, typically /usr is for user programs, source code, man pages etc but no system files that I know of. However, changing file permissions globally can be very dangerous since many programs must be run by root or a particular user. You can not globally undo a chmod command since files permissions are not the same even in the same directory. So yes it could be fixed if you had a backup or if you knew the permissions of every file and you take the time to manually change each one. So a reinstall is really the best solution. lesson learned....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.