Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Linux Console Login
Linuxhelp > Support > Technical Support
JeffK
I am running 64 bit Oracle Enterprise Linux 4. I've recently had a problem whereby I cannot login to the machine from the local console. I can login via SSH with now problems. The system appears to be checking passwords...if I enter a username with an incorrect password, I get an incorrect login response. If I enter any correct username and password combination, I just get the login prompt again. I can't seem to find any information on this so I'm at a total loss. Any ideas?

Jeff K.
DS2K3
Maybe a missing or misconfigured shell? Normally I would expect an error message to that effect though...
OmicronPersei8
Enterprise eh? I find it reasonable to believe that enterprise edition would have a default security settings far in excess of a consumer product such as Fedora. Look in your /etc/security/access.conf, if there is such a thing in Oracle, and see if you can find something to the effect of: -:ALL EXCEPT root:LOCAL or -:ALL LOCAL or -:ALL CONSOLE. If you do, comment it out by placing a # in front of it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.