Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Wifi
Linuxhelp > Support > Technical Support
Patch
Help ! I can't get my wifi to work with dreamlinux I've recently installed.
any ideas
Please help me
its built in wireless to my laptop
please email me on
patch.doylehouse@blueyonder.co.uk
michaelk
It is bad manners to ask for a private answer in a public forum. Your answer will possibly help many others with the same problem.

That said it is impossible to provide help since we do not know the make/model of your laptop. Different manufactures use different chipsets.
Also if possible post the output of the console command
lspci
Patch
Im sorry, bear in mind im only 13 but don't let that put you off replying. i do know quite a lot about computers. my laptop is a fujitsu seimens A1645. any ideas? i think it is recognising my wireless adapter (internal) but im not sure how to connect to it (with dreamlinux)

thank you
michaelk
I've never used dreamlinux but if you can figure out how to open a console windows I need the output of the console command
lspci

A console window is similar to Windows XP command prompt window where you manually type in commands. That said I only found one site that mentioned the wireless adapter as being a Broadcom. The output from the lspci command should tell us which one. Not all wireless adapters have native linux drivers. There is a wrapper called ndiswrapper that lets one use windows
drivers. Your adapter might require ndiswrapper which already comes with dreamlinux.

BTW there are many different linux distributions and where the GUI tools might be different their console commands will be the same. linux command line is very powerful and many GUI applications
are just frontend for a command line application so that is why I will ask for the output of a console command first.
Patch
when i entered lspi in the terminal, this is what I saw:

Patch@DreamLinux:~$ lspci
00:00.0 Host bridge: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] 760/M760 Host (rev 03)
00:01.0 PCI bridge: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] SG86C202
00:02.0 ISA bridge: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] SiS963 [MuTIOL Media IO] (rev 25)
00:02.1 SMBus: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] SiS961/2 SMBus Controller
00:02.5 IDE interface: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] 5513 [IDE]
00:02.6 Modem: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] AC'97 Modem Controller (rev a0)
00:02.7 Multimedia audio controller: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] AC'97 Sound Controller (rev a0)
00:03.0 USB Controller: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] USB 1.0 Controller (rev 0f)
00:03.1 USB Controller: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] USB 1.0 Controller (rev 0f)
00:03.3 USB Controller: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] USB 2.0 Controller
00:04.0 Ethernet controller: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] SiS900 PCI Fast Ethernet (rev 91)
00:06.0 FireWire (IEEE 1394): Texas Instruments TSB43AB22/A IEEE-1394a-2000 Controller (PHY/Link)
00:09.0 CardBus bridge: O2 Micro, Inc. OZ711M1/MC1 4-in-1 MemoryCardBus Controller (rev 20)
00:09.1 CardBus bridge: O2 Micro, Inc. OZ711M1/MC1 4-in-1 MemoryCardBus Controller (rev 20)
00:09.2 System peripheral: O2 Micro, Inc. OZ711Mx 4-in-1 MemoryCardBus Accelerator
00:0b.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4318 [AirForce One 54g] 802.11g Wireless LAN Controller (rev 02)
00:18.0 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] HyperTransport Technology Configuration
00:18.1 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] Address Map
00:18.2 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] DRAM Controller
00:18.3 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] Miscellaneous Control
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] 661/741/760/761 PCI/AGP VGA Display Adapter
Patch@DreamLinux:~$

can you help ?
thanks
patch
michaelk
00:0b.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4318 [AirForce One 54g] 802.11g Wireless LAN Controller (rev 02)

This is your wireless adapter. And you can google for information. It looks like you will need to use ndiswrapper to get this to work. Basically you install the windows inf driver via the command
ndiswarpper -i bcmwl5.inf
modprobe ndiswrapper

There might be a GUI tool but I am not familiar with dreamlinux. If everything goes the output of iwconfig will show a wireless adapter wlan0.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.