Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fedora first time star
Linuxhelp > Support > Technical Support
myris
Hi,

I previously had problems even live-booting from any of the live CD's out there (debian, ubuntu, mint). Soembody suggested Fedora, so I tried that, and it worked. The live CD booted and I got to the GNOME desktop. I then click install to hard-drive, and everything seems to go pretty smooth, it says it has finished installing Fedora. I then restart the machine, and I am then presented to the last part of the setup, configuration. Every step goes smooth, but after I am finished with time and date settings, I click next to go to hardware profile, and everything freezes. The cursor, and everything. I tried letting it work for 2 hours, but nothing happened. So then I force restart the computer, and it boots into the same place, and freezes at the same spot. I am currently running an XP/fedora dual boot, with XP installed first... Does anybody have any suggestions? My laptop is a HP DV6240eu. May it just be that this computers hardware does not like Linux (or vise versa) and that was also why I could not boot from the other live-CDs?

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks in advance! smile.gif
DS2K3
Laptops can be a bit iffy when it comes to implementing hardware that conforms to any kind of a specification. Try booting with some extra kernel parameters.

To do so:
When booting the PC, press a key to go to the list of oerpating systems.
Select the Fedora option, and press e for edit
Select the first line and add "noapic acpi=off" to the end of it
Press enter to save the line and then B to boot

You may find that power management is unavailable if it works though.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.