Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: wireless connection
Linuxhelp > Support > Technical Support
bevrose72
I've just got a new wireless router - everything works fine with my laptop connecting non-wirelessly. When I try to connect wirelessly it just doesn't work. I think its something very simple that I'm just not doing. I just need to know what steps to take to tell my laptop what to do in order to connect and I can't get any help from my ISP as they don't provide support for linux. Hope this isn't too dumb a question...
michaelk
It might be something simple but we have no idea how to help since you have not provided us with any information.
What linux distribution/version are you running?
What is the make/mode of your laptop.
The output of the console command lspci will tell us the chipset of your laptop wireless device. If the wireless device is not built in (USB or PCMCIA)
then tell us the make/model
Are you using any wireless encryption like wep or wpa?
bevrose72
QUOTE (michaelk @ Dec 20 2007, 08:22 AM) *
It might be something simple but we have no idea how to help since you have not provided us with any information.
What linux distribution/version are you running?
What is the make/mode of your laptop.
The output of the console command lspci will tell us the chipset of your laptop wireless device. If the wireless device is not built in (USB or PCMCIA)
then tell us the make/model
Are you using any wireless encryption like wep or wpa?

Sorry for providing more info - I wasn't sure what would be necessary....
I'm running kubuntu. My laptop is a Toshiba Satellite Pro 4600. The wireless device is built in, but I don't know how to find the info about the output of the console command Ispci. I'm not using any wireless encryption.
Thanks
arochester
Have a look at "Ubuntu Linux on Toshiba Satellite Pro 4600-0HKE7" at http://blog.clickonline.org.au/2007/04/11/...pro-4600-0hke7/ . This suggests that wireless should work with (K)ubuntu straight out of the box.

Is the wireless connection there but not being picked up. I have a Toshiba Equium and find that the program "wifi-radar" helps.

"I don't know how to find the info about the output of the console command Ispci" It begins with l (L for Lemon). Open Konsole Terminal Program and input: lspci . Then copy and past the result here.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.