Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: DSL Modem Not Detected
Linuxhelp > Support > Hardware Support
Setain
I just finally got around to installing Linux (Suse 10.1) after putting it off for months. The installation went less than flawlessly, but I managed to get Linux working. Now, I can't connect to the internet. It recognizes my Ethernet card, but I still don't get a connection and YaST doesn't detect my DSL modem. It is a Siemens Speedstream 4100; it came with my SBC service. I'm at a loss since I can't find any information about how to get this device to work with Linux. Might anyone here be able to help me get it working?

Edit: I've got the modem working now. It was a matter of adjusting the BIOS. Now, however, the connection is quite slow(er), and I am unable to update the software. I may make a new thread in another section.
DS2K3
If your modem is connected via ethernet then it is, strictly speaking, not a modem but a router; and it should require no drivers or software to be isntalled on your computer. It is, essentially, a computer in its own right. (I am surprised that you made it work by altering your BIOS settings).

Normally it should just be a matter of setting your "gateway" (and maybe DNS server address) to the IP address of the router - In fact, in many cases just setting your ethernet to "Auto (DHCP)" will do it all for you.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.