Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Help with VNC/XWindows?
Linuxhelp > Support > Technical Support
Stromstedt
Hello I need help. I'm not quite sure with what because I have no clue if I have xWindows or what... I am running on Redhat Fedora Core and I have no clue where to start first. I don't even know if I have xWindows installed because I am running this server remotely and don't physically have it here. Any commands I have to do must be through ssh. Please help, thanks. smile.gif

Click here ( http://www.thestromstedt.com/help.jpg ) to see an example of what it looks like on VNC here. WHen I run my cursor over the window, it turns into an X. Hopefully that helps.
michaelk
I have no idea what you need help with either.

Are you asking if x is running on the server? What linux distribution/version is running on the server?
Check what process are running, you should be able to tell if running kde or gnome etc.
I assume by ssh that you are just using a CLI to access the server.

So please explain what you want to to with VNC?
Stromstedt
QUOTE (michaelk @ Dec 1 2007, 11:44 AM) *
I have no idea what you need help with either.

Are you asking if x is running on the server? What linux distribution/version is running on the server?
Check what process are running, you should be able to tell if running kde or gnome etc.
I assume by ssh that you are just using a CLI to access the server.

So please explain what you want to to with VNC?

Well, I basically want to run vnc with the normal Redhat Fedora GUI by VNC.. Instead of using SSH (via PuTTY) I want to do use everything via the GUI interface. Is that process even running and if not, do I need to install xWindows or do I need to run a command to start the X11/xWindows?

Thanks.
michaelk
You can tunnel VNC over ssh. Here is one such tutorial but there are many that can be found by googling.
http://www.tech-recipes.com/unix_software_tips262.html

Of course you need to verify that x and vncserver are running on the server.
Stromstedt
QUOTE (michaelk @ Dec 2 2007, 01:37 PM) *
You can tunnel VNC over ssh. Here is one such tutorial but there are many that can be found by googling.
http://www.tech-recipes.com/unix_software_tips262.html

Of course you need to verify that x and vncserver are running on the server.

Actually.. VNC already works.. I just don't know hwo to start xWindows if it is even installed sad.gif
michaelk
If you can connect to the server already using VNC and since VNC needs x to work it should be already running.
Stromstedt
QUOTE (michaelk @ Dec 6 2007, 02:07 PM) *
If you can connect to the server already using VNC and since VNC needs x to work it should be already running.

Well maybe my xWindows is already running.. I think my problem is I need to start my KDE, Gnome, or whatever? I have no idea to start this. sad.gif
michaelk
We are going around in circles. Lets see if I can figure this out.
Is Fedora running on the server? Since you mentioned that your connecting to the server via Putty I assume your attempting to connect to it via a windows PC.
VNC does not appear to be connecting.

Did you install Fedora on the remote server?

When connected to the server via ssh look to see if gnome and /or vncserver is running
ps ax | grep vncviewer
ps ax | grep gnome

Post the results.
Stromstedt
QUOTE (michaelk @ Dec 8 2007, 12:14 AM) *
We are going around in circles. Lets see if I can figure this out.
Is Fedora running on the server? Since you mentioned that your connecting to the server via Putty I assume your attempting to connect to it via a windows PC.
VNC does not appear to be connecting.

Did you install Fedora on the remote server?

When connected to the server via ssh look to see if gnome and /or vncserver is running
ps ax | grep vncviewer
ps ax | grep gnome

Post the results.

[stromstedt@ip-72-167-15-47 ~]$ ps ax | grep gnome
20463 pts/5 R+ 0:00 grep gnome
[stromstedt@ip-72-167-15-47 ~]$ ps ax | grep vncviewer
22110 pts/5 S+ 0:00 grep vncviewer
[stromstedt@ip-72-167-15-47 ~]$ ps ax | grep kde
3113 pts/5 S+ 0:00 grep kde

My problem seems to be when I connect through VNC it looks like the image I posted above.. I don't know what that means or anything.. It is just a gray screen with only the vnc server options. here is a screenshot : http://www.thestromstedt.com/help.jpg
michaelk
Should of been
ps ax | grep vncserver (the viewer is only on the client)

You should check the firewall to make sure your allowing VNC traffic on the server as well as windows.
Stromstedt
QUOTE (michaelk @ Dec 9 2007, 09:12 PM) *
Should of been
ps ax | grep vncserver (the viewer is only on the client)

You should check the firewall to make sure your allowing VNC traffic on the server as well as windows.

VNC server allows traffic because I can connect to it according to this screenshot: http://www.thestromstedt.com/help.jpg
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.