Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: SATA Installation
Linuxhelp > Support > Technical Support
jamesroberts
I'm in the process of installing 2x Maxtor 160GB SATA hard drives on a system running Red Had from an already operational PATA drive.

The HDs are appearing in BIOS just fine but I don't seem to be able to use fdisk to get them set up and running. I've only been using Linux for a couple of weeks and have only been involved in network related issues so I could be missing something really simple here.

Please could someone confirm process of installing SATA HDs on this OS following physical connection of them. - I've run out of options.

Thanks for any help

James
michaelk
Can not confirm since not enough information is provided. What version of Redhat are you running? If using Redhat 9 then I would suggest upgrading to the latest Fedora.
What are your hardware specs i.e. what SATA controller chipset. Look at the output of lspci to see.
You might need to change the BIOS settings for the SATA controller. Look to see if there is a legacy setting.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.