Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: HELP NEWB Kernel panic:Attempted to kill init!
Linuxhelp > Support > Technical Support
joec369
Hello I am new to Linux. I am trying to install Red hat Linux 9 on my computer which is about 2-3 years old. I know very little about Linux operating system. Iím trying to install the operating system to get more familiar with it for school.

Ok I installed, and it seemed to go fine. I did have to install text mode because it didnít recognize my monitor or something like that. After I installed, I rebooted, Grub came up and I selected Red Hat Linux (the only one). Then I get this error message. I wrote down a couple of lines here they are:

Call Trace: [<c01bd1fc>] Probe_hwif [kernel] 0x27c (0xddfb9f54))
[<c01bdcd8>] ideprobe_init [kernel] 0xb8 (0xddfb9f74))
[<c0105053>] init [kernel] 0x13 (0xddfb9fd8))
[<c0105040>] init [kernel] 0x0 (0xddfb9fe0))
[<c010742d>] kernel_thread_helper [kernel] 0x5 (0xddfb9ff0))
Code: ff 50 10 eb d0 eb 0d 90 90 90 90 90 90 90 90 90 90 90 90 90
<0> Kernel panic: Attempted to kill init!

Does anyone have an idea what is going wrong? Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time.

Joec369
michaelk
Redhat 9 is very old and will not have support for the lastest hardware including video cards. I would suggest going with the latest Fedora.
joec369
I guess no one knows what the code means? I understand Red Hat 9 is old, and I will change if I have to, but I just brought this huge manual for it and the book was copyrighted 2003. I guess I got ripped off.
michaelk
Would be nice to know the hardware specifications. Newer distributions will have out of the box for the latest hardware including USB, video and network adapters. In addition newer distributions will have the latest security fixes if you intend to attach this computer to the internet.

Fedora is based on RH 9 so there is still lots of valid information to be learned from the book.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.