Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Look at Distro's
Linuxhelp > Support > Technical Support
docmur
Hello

Okay so right now I'm using ubuntu and i like it pretty good. I've used Debian and it was okay and Gentoo was sweet. What I'm looking for is a distro like Gentoo which compiles optimized source but doesn;t have the reduiculous install time.
Some of the other distro's I've tried are Sabayon, Suse, Mandrake, Arch, Slack, Zenwalk, BSD, Abosoulte. So any idea's

Thanks

Docmur
Corey
Out of curiosty, what was your experience like with Saboyan? I was tempted in trying it until I went to their website and saw it plastered with ads, really turned me off from it.

Another Gentoo-based distribution out there is VLOS (Vida Linux). I heard good things about it a few years ago, not sure if they're still relavent or not, but you can check it out at http://www.vidalinux.com
docmur
Well sabayon never worked out for me. It's not gentoo enough, there are problems when I tried to emerge the world and more so I could never get my printer working in USB. lol This may sound really stupid but my mark for a good linux distro is ease of printer set up which is why I'm sticking with ubuntu
DS2K3
Sabayon made my computing world a darker place. It just doesn't work. There's bleeding edge and then there's roadkill. Then there's Sabayon linux.
docmur
I've tried Arch linux, not bad just a lack of packages :-(
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.