Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Slackware and DHCP
Linuxhelp > Support > Technical Support
docmur
So I'm trying slackware and I download 11.0 It's installed and boot and all that good stuff but I can't get networking working. The network is at a college rez and is assigned via DHCP. I can lspci and see my network card but when I run dhclient and dhcpcd nothing happens. Even if config does not list the eth* as there. When I try dhclient eth0, it returns an error yet the card is being picked up. ????

I'm lost I came from ubuntu and before that Suse I've never had this happen before and the slackware doc's don't help. I'm thinking it's a kernel problem but what do you guys think.

Thanks Docmur
Robert83
Hi,

if lspci lists your ethernet card, and there is a entry in /etc/modules.conf about the ethernet card.

then perhaps try and see if

/etc/sysconfig/networking/ifcfg-eth0 read something like this

DEVICE=eth0
BOOTPROTO=dhcp
HWADDR=xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx
ONBOOT=Yes
TYPE=Ethernet
DHCP_HOSTNAME=mycomputer

Sincerely
Robert B
michaelk
In addition,
Look at the output of the commands lspci and lsmod. This will show the ethernet adapter and if its module is being loaded.
matt
May be a really non technical answer. But as a slackware user myself I find that if you run netconfig utility and go through the setup their, setting your hostname and etc, then dhcp usually works afterwords.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.