Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Write Protected Folders
Linuxhelp > Support > Technical Support
d12c20y
I am new to Linux. I have Mandriva 2007. I am trying to install plugins for Firefox. When I try to copy them to the appropriate folder, it give me an error message of no write authority to that folder. I know it has something to do with not being signed in as Root but I can't figure out how to sign in as root. will only let me sign in as the usr that I set up.
DS2K3
Open a terminal program like "konsole" and run "su -" to get root privileges (you will need the root password). You can then run "konqueror" to open a file manager which will have root privileges, then just drag-and-drop onto the root file-manager as you would any other.

D
Hemant
Also try reading some more about Linux and how it works:

http://www.linux.org/lessons/beginner/toc.html

And there are couple of more resources elsewhere use google.
d12c20y
That didn't work. Still says that the folder that I am trying to drop to is write protected.
michaelk
What is the specfic directory your try to trying to copy files to? What are its permissions.
d12c20y
I am trying to install flash player for Firefox. It won't install automatically. So, I am following the directions to install manually but it won't let me copy the files to the plugins folder of Firefox.
Corey
QUOTE (d12c20y @ Dec 10 2006, 07:43 PM) *
I am trying to install flash player for Firefox. It won't install automatically. So, I am following the directions to install manually but it won't let me copy the files to the plugins folder of Firefox.

Well, you have a couple of options. If you're the only person using your system, you can just copy them to your personal plugins folder:

mkdir -p ~/.mozilla/plugins (just to be sure you have that directory)
cp libflashplayer.so ~/.mozilla/plugins

Then restart Firefox

Otherwise, to install system wide:

su -
(enter root password)
cp libflashplayer.so /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins
or
cp libflashplayer.so /usr/lib/firefox/plugins

Restart firefox and everything should be good. If you're still getting errors with writing and the output of the command "whoami" is root, then please post us the output to the following command:

ls -l /usr/lib/mozilla/
or
ls -l /usr/lib/firefox

Thanks.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.