Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Mandrake Linux help
Linuxhelp > Support > Technical Support
Symphony
Hi, I have recently installed MandrakeLinux 10.0 and when I try to boot it up, it starts with a black screen and it asks for my username and password. After I do that, it shows me something like username@localhost
Anyway, only way I can do anything is through commands like cd /root and similar.

But I can't enter the Mandrake desktop. Is there any command or anything that I must do?
I'm running on WinXP now on hda1.
Mandrake is on hd5, hd6, hd7 where hd6 is swap.

System specs:
-Intel 630 3,2 Ghz
-1024 MB DDR2
-(Asus) Nvidia N6600GT 256 MB

Please help me smile.gif Thanks!
michaelk
x windows was not configured correctly and so fails to load. I sugguest downloading and installing the lastest Nvida drivers. Just follow the instructions on their website. Once you have installed the drivers you should be able to start the desktop via the command startx.
Symphony
I have installed the latest Forceware driver for my Nvidia.

I used startx but I get errors. something about server reset by peer.

Anyway, the first time I installed MAndrakeLinux, the graphical interface loaded up but it had resolution and frequencies errors, supposedly because I haven't set up my monitor configuration properly.

Then I formatted the linux partitions and tried a second time to reinstall. Now it doesn't load up at all. Tried to reinstall once more, but same thing. sad.gif
Hemant
We need to configure the XWindow system on your machine properly, reinstalling won't solve the problem most likely.

Its a pity that people still face X Window configuration problem.

Anyways, you can open /etc/X11/xorg.conf file and try switching to vesa drivers and lower resolution for the time being and get your desktop. Then we can think about more flashy things.

If all the above talk sounds like greek and latin to you, then this link may help you:

http://slackware.osuosl.org/slackware_sour.../xorg.conf-vesa

Though the link is for slackware. Do google like a mad piglet and keep trying (not reinstalling)

all the best.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.