Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Safe to Delete Dell Utility Partition
Linuxhelp > Support > Technical Support
cheetahman
I would like to know if its safe to do this to not only be able to have 4 Prime Partitions.Afterwards I it would look like this when finished if possible all booting by GRUB.Should I install Windows XP first and does this effect the BIOS when the Dell Utility is Deleted.

Windows XP
BSD
Linux
Solaris
DS2K3
The Dell utility is required to recover your computer - It contains all the drivers etc. for the Dell hardware (some of which is bound to be non-standard). Your computer should work fine witrhout it, but you might have problems installing Windows without the Dell drivers.

Dell PCs no longer come with restore CDs (instead they come with a piece of card, witha picture of a restore cd on it, saying that you dont get one blink.gif ) so the hidden partition does the job of it.

D
Dustin McCormick
I should mention that you can call Dell and they'll mail you a hard copy for restoration. Just explain to them that you don't want this extra partition sitting around on your drive and they'll mail it right out.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.