Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: I am new to Linux & am in dire need of installation help.
Linuxhelp > Support > Technical Support
superduper5
I was just given a Dell Inspiron 5100 Laptop with Windows & all sorts of viruses &c. I don't want to fight the viruses or deal with Windows. I'd rather run Apple OS, but it's a PC. I have always want'd to try Linux, so for me this is a perfect opportunity. However, I am not having much luck installing it. I downloaded the 5 Fedora CD iso images (i386, I thought that was the right one after researching a bit), & tried to boot them. I also burn'd the Cent OS LiveCD & that as well would not work for me. It just brings me to the Windows option where it asks if I would like to start in Safe Mode. What am I doing wrong, & how do I correctly install Linux on this machine. I want to wipe the entire disk & leave nothing but Linux on it.

x
DS2K3
Make sure that your BIOS is configured to boot from CD. What did you burn the CDs with - Some programs require you to explicitly make the CD bootable.

D
Trio3b
Google "dell Inspiron +linux" and this should give you a decent idea of compatibility. Had lots of trouble with FC5 iso files as have had other users, so can't really help. Google "Fedora+iso files". You must set your BIOS to boot from the CDROM in order to run a linux installation. Am more familiar with Mandrake, which has a great installer and is a comfortable transition from other OSs for new users.

Sounds like you're new to linux. Consider trying a live distro to give you a taste before you dive in.

hope this helps
saco
QUOTE (superduper5 @ Oct 14 2006, 06:40 PM) *
I was just given a Dell Inspiron 5100 Laptop with Windows & all sorts of viruses &c. I don't want to fight the viruses or deal with Windows. I'd rather run Apple OS, but it's a PC. I have always want'd to try Linux, so for me this is a perfect opportunity. However, I am not having much luck installing it. I downloaded the 5 Fedora CD iso images (i386, I thought that was the right one after researching a bit), & tried to boot them. I also burn'd the Cent OS LiveCD & that as well would not work for me. It just brings me to the Windows option where it asks if I would like to start in Safe Mode. What am I doing wrong, & how do I correctly install Linux on this machine. I want to wipe the entire disk & leave nothing but Linux on it.

x

are you booting from c:\ or d:\ ?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.