Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: have ntfs format drive with THINGS I NEED
Linuxhelp > Support > Technical Support
matty
i have no windows anymore i hate it.... im new to linux and want to know if there is any way to get info off of an ntfs formatted drive and get it into my ext3 drive.... its mostly music that i want, but some docs and files.... so is there any music player that supports read of ntfs, or anythign? HELP!
DS2K3
You don't need a music player that supports NTFS, you need a system that supprots it. Everything (with one or two excetions) access the filesystem via the kernel, so it is the kernel that determines whether you can read a drive or not.

Some distributions support NTFS out of the box and others don't. Generally, only read-only support is available since wrting is still experimental - Read-only should be all that you need however.

D
matty
so there is reading support of ntfs? i use ubuntu... im not quite understanding... what do i DO to read the files on my ntfs partitions??? thanks.... ( i hate bein newb)
g33k
Open up a terminal and login as superuser :
CODE
su -

You need to find out the device file for the ntfs partition. Try with
CODE
fdisk -l

Next mount the device to a directory using
CODE
mkdir /media/win                                    #create the destination directory
mount /dev/hdaX /media/win/ -t ntfs -o nls=utf8,umask=0222  #replace hdaX with your device file

Now you can read the files in ntfs drive from the /media/win directory
Avarus
When I used to mount NTFS in Ubuntu I did it like that for one difference:

CODE
mount -t ntfs /dev/(device name, mostly sda1 or sdb1 or sdc1 etc.) /media/win

I believe my code is a little less complex, but I don't know if there is a large difference in outcome...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.