Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How can i mount my removable disk?
Linuxhelp > Support > Technical Support
itcecsa
I used to have pc and i inistalled windowx xp and redhat on the same disk. now i make the hard disk into the removable disk. I plug-in the external usb port into my laptop and boot from redhat cd, i enter "linux rescue" mode, i run the command "fdisk -l", but i can only see the information of my laptop's hard disk, i can't find any information of my removable disk. so i can't mount my removable disk now. i tried
mount -t ext3 /dev/sdb4
mount -t ext3 /dev/sdb
both of them are useless. now i can't mound the removable disk so i can't boot from my removable disk. can anyone tell me what i have done wrong? i searched google and read the redhat faqs and the tutorials, but i still can't find the solution. i appreciate that some one can help me.
michaelk
What is the make / model laptop. What version of Redhat was installed?
check the output of the dmesg command. Is the USB drive being recognized? If the laptop hard drive is not SATA then the removable drive device ID will be sda not sdb.
Check the output of the lsmod command are the USB modules loading.
itcecsa
QUOTE (michaelk @ Sep 23 2006, 02:58 PM) *
What is the make / model laptop. What version of Redhat was installed?
check the output of the dmesg command. Is the USB drive being recognized? If the laptop hard drive is not SATA then the removable drive device ID will be sda not sdb.
Check the output of the lsmod command are the USB modules loading.

when i run the command "dmesg"and "smod", i got the same response from the prompt:
sh: dmesg: command not found
sh: smod : command not found
i run the command "fdisk -l" again, i believe that the removable disk is not recgonized
i run the command "mount -t /dev/sda /mnt/removabledisk
"mount -t ext3 /dev/sda4 /mnt/removabledisk"
"mount -t ext3 /dev/sdb /mnt/removabledisk"
"mount -t ext3 /dev/sda4 /mnt/removabledisk"
the the four commands i got the same result:
mount: Mounting /dev/sda onn /mnt/removabledisk failed: no such file or directory
mount: Mounting /dev/sda4 onn /mnt/removabledisk failed: no such file or directory
mount: Mounting /dev/sdb onn /mnt/removabledisk failed: no such file or directory
mount: Mounting /dev/sdb4 onn /mnt/removabledisk failed: no such file or directory

does anyone know how to handle the problem?
michaelk
The directory /mnt/removabledisk must exist before you can mount a filesystem.
Use mkdir command to create the directory:
mkdir /mnt/removabledisk

What distribution of linux / version are you running?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.