Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: SATA Controller Card on PowerPC (PPC) Linux
Linuxhelp > Support > Hardware Support
kaireapr
I recently purcahsed an old Dual 450 MHz CPU Mac G4 tower off of eBay to be my dorm room server (web/ftp/samba/mail/etc.) and have a few SATA drives that I'd like to install in it. The problem with this notion is that there is no SATA controller built-in (on the motherboard) and there is no SATA controller card in the G4.

I did a bit of Google searching for SATA RAID and controller PCI cards and found quite a good number that are compatible with Linux. It is not specified whether they are compatible with x86 Linux or PPC Linux, though!

The card I'm eyeballin' is this:
http://www.gogocost.com/xcart/product.php?productid=293

My question is this: Will any PCI card that is compatible with Linux be compatible with Linux for both PPC and x86 architecture, or do the x86 and PPC platforms require different hardware?

Specifically: Is the card that I provded a link to [above] compatible with PPC Linux?

Any help will be appreciated. smile.gif
DS2K3
You should be more worried about whether it is compatible with the PPC box that you have. If it works with the hardware itself, then Linux *should* be OK, provided that the interfce works the same on both hardware platforms.

D
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.