Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: help: problems with wireless in linux
Linuxhelp > Support > Technical Support
cabe
I'm having some problems with hostapd and bridging a wireless to a wired network that are driving me insane! I'm running Debian Sarge with a 2.6.8-2 kernel and an Atheros chipset on the wireless card.

I'm able to bring up the access point with #iwconfig ath0 essid cabe and connect to it, but I cannot ping another computer on the wired network. It's as if the bridge is not working. However, by some miracle I DID have hostapd working at one point, and at the time I could ping a wired machine from the wireless and vice versa. I have no idea why hostapd broke but now every time I try to run #/etc/init.d/hostapd start I get Starting advanced IEEE 802.11 management: hostapd...failed. I've looked in both the /tmp/hostapd.dump and /var/log/daemon.log files but there is nothing, even when debug=4 in hostapd.conf. I have started with a completely default hostapd.conf, only changing the ssid, driver, and adding in the bridge var (this was not in the original hostapd.conf, but somewhere in my many painful hours of reading about this topic it was suggested that this var is required so hostapd will know it's part of a bridge).

Here are the relevant files:

/etc/hostapd/hostapd.conf (with all commented lines removed)
CODE
bridge=br0
interface=ath0
driver=madwifi
logger_syslog=-1
logger_syslog_level=2
logger_stdout=-1
logger_stdout_level=2
debug=0
dump_file=/tmp/hostapd.dump
ssid=cabe
macaddr_acl=0
auth_algs=0
eap_authenticator=0
eapol_key_index_workaround=0

/etc/network/interfaces
CODE
auto lo eth1 ath0 br0

iface lo inet loopback

iface eth1 inet dhcp

iface ath0 inet manual
        pre-up wlanconfig ath0 destroy
        pre-up wlanconfig ath0 create wlandev wifi0 wlanmode ap

iface br0 inet static
        bridge_ports eth0 ath0
        address 192.168.0.2
        netmask 255.255.255.0
        network 192.168.0.0
        broadcast 192.168.0.255
cabe
C'mon guys! 17 views and no replies? Someone's gotta have an idea what's wrong here.
markjr
QUOTE (cabe @ Aug 31 2006, 03:50 PM) *
C'mon guys! 17 views and no replies? Someone's gotta have an idea what's wrong here.

Just a shot in the dark, but do you need to specify a gateway?

That's what happened with me on my laptop. needed to do a

CODE
route add -net default gw 192.168.2.1

whenever I booted using the wireless interface
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.