Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: vnc x
Linuxhelp > Support > Technical Support
prongs
Hi
I am running fedora core 4 and I'm trying to setup vnc.
I have it setup so i can access it via my windows machine and it connects perfectly fine.
The issue is that the screen i see is a blank grey screen with a console. I want it to appear with the kde desktop or similar, how can i do this?
in its current state it is useless as i can achieve the same with a ssh connection.
Thanks for any help
as2100
The environment you are looking at is just a very basic window manager and a basic terminal application.

Both of these programs (the window manager & the terminal) are executed by a script located in '$home/.vnc/xstartup'. If you open that up, you will see something a little bit like:

CODE
#!/bin/sh
twm &
xterm &

There will probably be a couple more lines and/or options located in that xstartup file, but if you are just wanting VNC to use a login like would be executed upon local logins (and this is distro specific), just replace xstartup with something like:

CODE
#!/bin/sh
unset SESSION_MANAGER
exec /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc

That little snippet is likely to work for most systems and do what you're wanting...
isuck@linux
I haven't used vnc at all with linux, but I installed the free cygwin (x engine) and it runs great over ssh. You could try to do that.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.