Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Apache OpenSSL Problems
Linuxhelp > Support > Technical Support
signetware
Hi all,

Iv been working on a linux server lately. Iv managed to get apache, mysql and php installed. However the next step was to set up SSL on apache.

Ok so i do what iv read everywhere about enabling SSL, run the config:

./configure --prefix=/usr/local/apache2 --enable-rewrite=shared --enable-shared=max --enable-module=so --enable-ssl

And this is what happens:

checking whether to enable mod_ssl... checking dependencies
checking for SSL/TLS toolkit base... none
checking for OpenSSL version... checking openssl/opensslv.h usability... no
checking openssl/opensslv.h presence... no
checking for openssl/opensslv.h... no
checking openssl/ssl.h usability... no
checking openssl/ssl.h presence... no
checking for openssl/ssl.h... no
no OpenSSL headers found
checking for SSL-C version... checking sslc.h usability... no
checking sslc.h presence... no
checking for sslc.h... no
no SSL-C headers found
configure: error: ...No recognized SSL/TLS toolkit detected

OpenSSL is installed, and my boss needs this sorted out, any ideas?

Thanks
DS2K3
Make sure that the OpenSSL-devel package is installed - Apache needs the header files in order to build the SSL module.

D
signetware
QUOTE (DS2K3 @ Jul 12 2006, 10:55 PM) *
Make sure that the OpenSSL-devel package is installed - Apache needs the header files in order to build the SSL module.

D

OpenSSL-devel package..... The openSSL website has a list of packages. None of which say "devel". How do i find out if it does have this package on it? Also, if not where do i find it?
DS2K3
Which distribution are you using? Most distributors package applications as the binary version, and (if it has any libraries) a devel version. Failing that, you probably just need to tell configure where to look for the OpenSSL source code - Try typing "./configure --help" to see the list of arguments which configure will accept.

D
zoobio
I am having exactly this same problem.

I have Debian sarge with kernel 2.6.8-16sarge1
OpenSSL 0.9.7e-3sarge1
apache 2.2.2

Like the other user, I have used the --enable-ssl option, but got the same error message.

help! What do I need to do?
zoobio
I found the answer. You need to do this:

apt-get install openssl libssl-dev

smile.gif
Derokorian
QUOTE (zoobio @ Jul 17 2006, 03:56 PM) *
I found the answer. You need to do this:

apt-get install openssl libssl-dev

smile.gif

Thank you so much! I was looking forever for this. I even tried searching for the header file with apt-file search and was unable to find the libssl-dev package. This solved a HUGE headache for a linux newb like myself =D
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.