Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: failed sudo command causing disk I/O ?
Linuxhelp > Support > Technical Support
mr-max
Hi all,

I attempted to sudo a command on my Kanotix (Debian) 2.6.16 and it returned an error (below) about my not having correct entry in the sudo conf file. It then attempted to send an email but was unable. since then my HDD has been going MAD.
CODE
ERROR:

max is not in the sudoers file. This incident will be reported.
max@max11max:~$ ERR: authdaemon: s_connect() failed: No such file or directory
450-Service temporarily unavailable.
450 Headers specify no receipients.
sendmail: Unable to submit message.

I checked the mail queue but no messages waiting so I feel it's before that point.

Sendmail does not work on this system, if I "sendmail start" it just hangs.

Does anyone know what I can do to stop the HDD from doing what it's doing ? Sorry I can't give more information as I'm not sure what the heck is going on.

Max.
Robert83
Hi,

in youre /etc/sudoers file you must specify what the user can do for example, in order to allow a user to manipulate the samba service the following is needed.

CODE
it       ALL = /etc/init.d/smb

my guess is that your sendmail is not listed in the sudoers file that is why it hangs when you try to do something with it.

Sincerely
Robert B
mr-max
Hi Robert,

In relation to>

QUOTE (Robert83 @ Jul 7 2006, 01:16 PM) *
Hi,

in youre /etc/sudoers file you must specify what the user can do for example, in order to allow a user to manipulate the samba service the following is needed.

CODE
it       ALL = /etc/init.d/smb

my guess is that your sendmail is not listed in the sudoers file that is why it hangs when you try to do something with it.

Sincerely
Robert B

All I want to do is stop the disk I/O, every 3 or so seconds I get a flurry of disk activity and this has started after I issued the sudo command.

I'm not sure what to do about it. I think the issue of the sudo command had forced data into some queue and it's attempting a disk write and failing.

It's all beyond me

Thanks for the posting

Max.
Robert83
Hello,

I'm sorry to say but I'm blind here, are there any erros, warrnings or starnge things going on in the log files?

Would you check them please ?

Sincerely
Robert B
mr-max
Robert,

QUOTE (Robert83 @ Jul 7 2006, 01:35 PM) *
Hello,

I'm sorry to say but I'm blind here, are there any erros, warrnings or starnge things going on in the log files?

Would you check them please ?

Sincerely
Robert B

I checked the logs in /var/log but nothing is updated after boot except /var/log/messages

CODE
Jul  7 12:40:48 max11max -- MARK --
Jul  7 13:00:48 max11max -- MARK --
Jul  7 13:20:48 max11max -- MARK --
Jul  7 13:40:48 max11max -- MARK --

So nothing strange,

I'm trying to find out on the net how sudo reports errors, what files it creates and how to clear them but I'm not doing very well which is why I posted here.

As mail can't be sent on this box my feeling is that has a lot to do with it.

It would be nice to just clean up whatever sudo created but if I can't find out that info then I'll attempt to install sendmail in the hope it sorts it out. I have my doubts tho.

I did an iostat 1 and piped the output, HERE is the text file, you can see the I/O's .

Regards

Max.
dishawjp
It kind of looks like sendmail is still trying to do its thing every 20 seconds or so. I would try the following:

ps aux | grep sendmail

and see if there's a return. If so, get the process number for sendmail and kill it:

kill nnnn (where nnnn is the process number for the sendmail process)
mr-max
dishawjp,

QUOTE (dishawjp @ Jul 7 2006, 02:58 PM) *
It kind of looks like sendmail is still trying to do its thing every 20 seconds or so. I would try the following:

ps aux | grep sendmail

and see if there's a return. If so, get the process number for sendmail and kill it:

kill nnnn (where nnnn is the process number for the sendmail process)

I thought it might be that, the thing is sendmail don't work on my system. If you attempt to use it, it will hang and would be easy to track down. It's not even showing in the process list so I don't think it's a sendmail problem (I'm totally confused)

max
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.