Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Changing Windows Display setting from Linux
Linuxhelp > In The Community > General Discussion
Dewmeister
Hi, this is what I want to do:

I want to boot a linux live CD on a computer, and from there, mount my windows partition, and find the system file that stores display settings(screen resolution to be specific), and manually change the file so that when I boot windows, It will take on that resolution.

Basically, I guess I'm asking what system file stores that information for windows, and if it can be edited in this way from linux

I know this sounds kind of weird, but my work computer is locked at 800x600 and I feel like I am going to die of some kind of 'bad resolution' disease. I don't really know what that would be, but I'm sure it is fatal.

Thanks for reading!
~Ryan
michaelk
What version of windows?
What type of graphics card?

You could use a knoppix live CD but typically settings are stored in the registry and I would not recommend editing the file by hand. If the file became corrupted you could be screwed.

If your computer is "locked" at 800X600 and you can not change it in windows then you need to determine the reason. Do you have the right driver installed for the graphics card? Did you specify the correct monitor?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.