Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hostname <none>
Linuxhelp > Support > Technical Support
iamberad
I deleted my hostname setting, trying to connect to a wifi network, and now it is listed as <none>. Great, because now every config option returns a sudo error, editing the hostname file does as well, and my system is basically un-updateable as well. I've tried fixing a broken installation of Dapper Drake with the boot cd, but am not certain how to get it to save the settings for a new hostname. I need a little help, I'm sure its just my unfamiliarity with the basics that has made it so difficult
(although all the tutorial examples I've tried to emulate have returned sudo errors as well!)
michaelk
So how did you delete the hostname?

Try adding a hostname via the command i.e.

hostname oldhostname

what does /etc/sysconfig/network file show as a hostname. Do you see a line like
HOSTNAME=oldhostname
iamberad
the KDE gui has several configuration menus, including one that is for network settings, with an editable field to set the hostname.

sudo hostname beradicem
---> sudo: unable to lookup (none) via gethostbyname()

apparently I'm missing a directory ? under etc there is no such directory as sysconfig

file does not exist error.
jayakrishnan
Edit ur /etc/hosts file
iamberad
trying to edit it as root:
--> 'Su returned an error'

I assume because its referring to a hostname that is no longer assigned/active.

I've tried editing host.conf and hostname as well, it seems to have a sudo error whenever I try to use root, otherwise it seems like it'd be an easy fix
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.