Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Newbie with no GUI
Linuxhelp > Support > Technical Support
Pages: 1, 2
sudsucker
Been awhile since last post. I never could get the sound to work properly (I toyed around with alsa and gave up). I decided to repartition the drive I had linux on, installed the 32 bit version of SuSe 10.1 with the gnome desktop and now all seems to work fine. Installing the NVIDIA video driver was still a bit of a chore (since Im still a noob, but with prior suggestions I got it to work). I guess the 64 bit versions of Fed and Suse aren't quite ready for prime time (Windows 64 isn't either so it's a draw if your keeping score)
I really do appreciate the help I got here and now that I have a usable distro installed I will be back here for more info. Thanks again and query you soon!
DS2K3
nVidia drivers are a joy to install smile.gif If I had enough spare time to get bored enough, then I might reinstall them for fun...

D
sudsucker
biggrin.gif
Audio cd's, mp3's and flash enabled websites now work with the 32 bit version smile.gif (none of these worked with SUSE 10.1 64bit), but I can't play DVD's mad.gif and I had to set up a weird kind of boot system to choose between Windows and Linux when I boot my machine.
I put a blank disk in my floppy drive and I hit cntr-alt-f1 and logged in as root then typed the following:

grub-install fd0

Now if I want to boot to windows, I power up with the floppy ejected. If I want to boot to Linux, I insert the floppy disk before booting and the grub menu options appear.
I have my bios set to boot my floppy drive first, then my cdrom, then my hard drives (IDE first then SATA) --(Linux is on my IDE and Windows is on the SATA drives)
DS2K3
You can install grub on the hard disk - It should be the same as instlaling it on the floppy disk, just use hd0 instead.

You might need to install the dvd decryption libraries (decss). There might be a package for your distribution available, but some distribuotrs (mostly US based ones) wont include it because of potential DMCA violations due the reverse-engineering of the DVD encryption.

D
sudsucker
QUOTE (DS2K3 @ Sep 2 2006, 06:58 AM) *
You can install grub on the hard disk - It should be the same as instlaling it on the floppy disk, just use hd0 instead.

You might need to install the dvd decryption libraries (decss). There might be a package for your distribution available, but some distribuotrs (mostly US based ones) wont include it because of potential DMCA violations due the reverse-engineering of the DVD encryption.

D

I had grub on the hard disk but it failed to boot my sata drives (software raid). You hit the nail on the head with the DMCA issues so I'm looking into a solution for that.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.