Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Newbie with no GUI
Linuxhelp > Support > Technical Support
Pages: 1, 2
sudsucker
I just installed Fedora 5 on my pc and I get a garbled display when not in text mode.
I have a amd 64 dual core , geforce6800 sli, and a samsung syncmaster 997df monitor.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
sudsucker
I believe the problem I'm having here is due to the need for a video card driver. I've downloaded the appropriate driver and burned it to a cd, so now my question is this- How do I copy the file to my hard drive so I can run it? I had to boot to windows to find and burn the file to a cd and now I don't know how to run it.
Trio3b
QUOTE (sudsucker @ Jun 24 2006, 10:39 PM) *
I believe the problem I'm having here is due to the need for a video card driver. I've downloaded the appropriate driver and burned it to a cd, so now my question is this- How do I copy the file to my hard drive so I can run it? I had to boot to windows to find and burn the file to a cd and now I don't know how to run it.

Is this FC5 the correct version for your AMD 64? Did you check to see if the videao drivers were supported? There should be a readme file for the installation of the driver.
If you have text mode you should be able to use:

cp <source folder/file> <destination folder/file>
sudsucker
Thanks for responding! Yes I do have the correct files, the problem is that I have no idea how to use cp to get the file from the cd to my hard drive. I know the file name, but I don't know how to specify where it is on my cd. I tried cd dev/cdrom/filename ~ in order to try to copy it to the home directory but it keeps saying that the file or directory can't be found.

I had a typo there, I meant this:

I tried cp dev/cdrom/filename ~
michaelk
Here is a basic tutorial
http://rute.2038bug.com/index.html.gz

For convience FC5 uses /media directory for removable storage devices. Inside of this directory there will be subdirectories depending on your system like floppy and cdrom. So to copy a file from the cdrom:

user@localhost# cp /media/cdrom/filename /home/user/filename (would copy to the current users home directory, change user to your actual users name)

However, you need to mount the CD before you can access the data and unmount it before ejecting.
mount /media/cdrom
or
mount /dev/cdrom

To unmount
umount /media/cdrom

BTW the command to change directories is cd.
DS2K3
Just to clear up the distinction between "devices" in /dev and filesystems:

An entry ("device node") in /dev/ is basically a "window" into a device which other programs use to do device-level things like acess scanners, change the volume level and perform very low-level disk access.

To actually USE a filesystem contained on a disk (whether thats a hard sisk, cd, flobby or usb drive) it has to be "mounted". That basically tells the kernel the make the filesystem show up somewhere in the existing filesystem. The kernel then handles (with the help of the various filesystem drivers) read/writing/moving/deleting data via the entry in /dev/

Basically - Unless you understand binary, you shouldn't be trying to use device nodes yourself, and should let a program interfacce with them for you.

D
sudsucker
After trying all suggestions above (greatly appreciated, by the way) I started browsing through the crappy book I bought and zeroed in on something called etc/fstab. I spent another 20 minutes reading the crap book and after no help, figured out I could read the file with vi.

etc/fstab has no reference to any of my drives (except the hard drive) so I'm gonna poke around again and see if I can find any way to get my cdrw or dvdrw/cdrw (they should be hdc and hda respectively) to show up in etc/fstab.
But at this point, after spending many hours this weekend messing with this, Windows is starting to look better and better.

Is there a special forum for venting frustration? or should I just sob here in silence?
michaelk
Are you using the 64 bit or i386 version?

Strange that there isn't an entry in the /etc/fstab file for your CD drives. Look in /dev to see if you have a /dev/hda or /dev/hdc.

No special forum.
sudsucker
QUOTE (michaelk @ Jun 25 2006, 04:27 PM) *
Are you using the 64 bit or i386 version?

Strange that there isn't an entry in the /etc/fstab file for your CD drives. Look in /dev to see if you have a /dev/hda or /dev/hdc.

No special forum.

Kernel 2.6.15-2054_FC5 on an x86 64

Both show up when I go to /dev and type ls. Along with a whole bunch of others such as dvdrw-hda and more in pretty colors
g33k
Did you try mounting the cdrom device into the cdrom directory in /media..
CODE
mount /dev/hdc /media/cdrom

make sure that /dev/hdc exists..then u can start browsing the files from the directory /media/cdrom..
Then use
CODE
cp /media/cdrom/<file> ~/

~ refers to ur home directory..
sudsucker
QUOTE (g33k @ Jun 25 2006, 09:24 PM) *
Did you try mounting the cdrom device into the cdrom directory in /media..
CODE

make sure that /dev/hdc exists..then u can start browsing the files from the directory /media/cdrom..
Then use
CODE
cp /media/cdrom/<file> ~/

~ refers to ur home directory..

If I list /dev, a lot shows up including hda, hdc, cdrom, cdrom-hda, cdrom-hdc, cdrw, cdwriter, and a lot more.

QUOTE (sudsucker @ Jun 25 2006, 10:44 PM) *
If I list /dev, a lot shows up including hda, hdc, cdrom, cdrom-hda, cdrom-hdc, cdrw, cdwriter, and a lot more.

and i did try mount. I either get "can't find /dev/cdrom in etc/fstab or /etc/mtab
or I get no such file or directory
g33k
QUOTE (sudsucker @ Jun 26 2006, 08:17 AM) *
and i did try mount. I either get "can't find /dev/cdrom in etc/fstab or /etc/mtab
or I get no such file or directory

well in my system(SUSE) /dev/cdrom links to the file /dev/hdc that means when i try to mount /dev/cdrom it mounts /dev/hdc..
try
CODE
ls -l /dev/cdrom

to find if /dev/cdrom links to somewhere !!
However it shouldnot show an "can't find /dev/cdrom in etc/fstab or /etc/mtab" if there is a readable CD in the drive tongue.gif
and does your /media/cdrom directory exist ??
btw is it a plain cdrom or cdwriter or dvd combo drive ??
sudsucker
/media comes up empty.

I have a cdrw and also a combo dvdrw/cdrw and i put a disk in each and tried everything my puny brain could concieve
g33k
put the cd in *cdrw* and you may try creating a directory /media/cdrom as *root* and then
CODE

or if the file /dev/cdrecorder exists try mounting it
CODE
mount /dev/cdrecorder /media/cdrom

if still they don't work..give the output of following commands :
CODE
ls -l /dev/hd*
ls -l /dev/cd*
ls -l /dev/sd*
sudsucker
ls -l /dev/hd* gets this:
brw-rw---- 1 root disk 3, <date and time> /dev/hda (in orange text)
brw-rw---- 1 root disk 22, <date and time> /dev/hdc (in orange text)

the rest is too much to type here but it seems like every combo of drive comes up with full rwx permissions

I have only a glimmer of an idea what im seeing here.
g33k
QUOTE (sudsucker @ Jun 26 2006, 09:23 AM) *
the rest is too much to type here but it seems like every combo of drive comes up with full rwx permissions

you don't need to type them in !!
if you are using gnome-terminal then select the text using mouse and press ctrl+shift+c to copy it..or the COPY is present in Edit -> Copy .
in case ur using some othe terminal go into gnome-terminal by typing in
CODE
gnome-terminal&

in ur terminal and then copy paste the output..
I have only a glimmer of an idea what im seeing here.

that outputs all the drives (cd, dvd, harddisk etc) that u have..
sudsucker
QUOTE (g33k @ Jun 26 2006, 12:03 AM) *
if you are using gnome-terminal then select the text using mouse and press ctrl+shift+c to copy it..or the COPY is present in Edit -> Copy .
CODE
gnome-terminal&

I am using the gnome terminal, and I just reinstalled the whole thing and looked at my install log and noticed this:
Installing gnome-(blah blah blah).i386
I/O warning : failed to load external entitiy "/etc/gconf/schemas/system_storage.schemas"
Failed to oen '/etc/gconf/schemas/system_storage.schemas' : no such file or directory

Is this important?

QUOTE (sudsucker @ Jun 26 2006, 12:17 AM) *
I am using the gnome terminal, and I just reinstalled the whole thing and looked at my install log and noticed this:
Installing gnome-(blah blah blah).i386
I/O warning : failed to load external entitiy "/etc/gconf/schemas/system_storage.schemas"
Failed to oen '/etc/gconf/schemas/system_storage.schemas' : no such file or directory

Is this important?

later on in the install log this error appears:

Installing gnome-(blah blah blah).x86_64.

apologies for how I am posting here, I'm trying to figure out how to edit posts I've made.
sudsucker
QUOTE (g33k @ Jun 26 2006, 12:03 AM) *
CODE
gnome-terminal&

By the way, I have to type them in because i am posting here on a different computer from the one I am having trouble with.
DS2K3
Get root access by typing "su -" at the command line, and entering your password.

You should then proceed to create the mount point for your cdrom. Use "/media/cdrom" as suggested. To do, run "mkdir /media/cdrom"

Once that's done, you can run a mount command to pull the CD into the main filesystem at /media/cdrom. To do so, you will have to specify the full set of parameters (because mount cant look in fstab to get them).

Try the following
[code]
mount -t auto /dev/[name of cdrom device node] /media/cdrom
[code]

I reccomend that you type "cd" then press the tab key when it comes to entering the name of the cdrom device node. It will auto-complete the name for you, or provide a list of possible filenames (begining with cd). That way you can make sure that the device actually exists.

If you still get errors, then post them here word for word including the exact command that you executed.

D
sudsucker
mount -t auto /dev/cdrom-hda[or any other possibility] /media/cdrom gets me mount help file.
g33k
We need to know the device files of the DVDRW drive and CDRW drivw in your system..since its not plain CDROM mouting /dev/cdrom may not work..
you need not type the full permissions of the files just give us the /dev/xxx :
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 3 2006-06-27 07:09 /dev/cdrom -> hdc

we need only the last part that is "/dev/cdrom -> hdc"

you can see the files using
CODE
ls -l /dev/hd* /dev/cd* /dev/sd*
sudsucker
ok, here we go (lotsa typing- remember, i have to run the linux commands on one machine and type what happens on this one)

lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root <date> /dev/cdrom -> hdc
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root <date> /dev/cdrom-hda -> hda
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root <date> /dev/cdrom-hdc -> hdc
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root <date> /dev/cdrw -> hdc
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root <date> /dev/cdrw-hda -> hda
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root <date> /dev/cdrw-hdc -> hdc
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root <date> /dev/cdwriter -> hdc
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root <date> /dev/cdwriter-hda -> hda
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root <date> /dev/cdwriter-hdc -> hdc
brw-rw---- 1 root disk 3 <date> /dev/hda
brw-rw---- 1 root disk 22 <date> /dev/hdc
brw-r----- 1 root disk 8 <date> /dev/sda
brw-r----- 1 root disk 8 <date> /dev/sdb
brwx------ 1 root disk 8 <date> /dev/sdb1
brwx------ 1 root disk 8 <date> /dev/sdb2
brwx------ 1 root disk 8 <date> /dev/sdb3
sudsucker
QUOTE (sudsucker @ Jun 27 2006, 05:12 PM) *
ok, here we go (lotsa typing- remember, i have to run the linux commands on one machine and type what happens on this one)

lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root <date> /dev/cdrom -> hdc
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root <date> /dev/cdrom-hda -> hda
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root <date> /dev/cdrom-hdc -> hdc
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root <date> /dev/cdrw -> hdc
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root <date> /dev/cdrw-hda -> hda
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root <date> /dev/cdrw-hdc -> hdc
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root <date> /dev/cdwriter -> hdc
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root <date> /dev/cdwriter-hda -> hda
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root <date> /dev/cdwriter-hdc -> hdc
brw-rw---- 1 root disk 3 <date> /dev/hda
brw-rw---- 1 root disk 22 <date> /dev/hdc
brw-r----- 1 root disk 8 <date> /dev/sda
brw-r----- 1 root disk 8 <date> /dev/sdb
brwx------ 1 root disk 8 <date> /dev/sdb1
brwx------ 1 root disk 8 <date> /dev/sdb2
brwx------ 1 root disk 8 <date> /dev/sdb3

and I just noticed that you didn'nt need the file permissions sad.gif
g33k
Just try to mount using
CODE
gnome-mount -d /dev/hdc
or
gnome-mount -d /dev/cdrw
gnome-mount -d /dev/cdwriter

make sure that you have got a readable cd in the CDRW drive smile.gif
for more help on gnome-mount u may like to see
CODE
gnome-mount --help
sudsucker
QUOTE (g33k @ Jun 27 2006, 10:10 PM) *
Just try to mount using
CODE
gnome-mount -d /dev/hdc
or
gnome-mount -d /dev/cdrw
gnome-mount -d /dev/cdwriter

make sure that you have got a readable cd in the CDRW drive smile.gif
for more help on gnome-mount u may like to see
CODE
gnome-mount --help

that worked, thanks for the help.
Unfortunately for me, I'm giving up on Linux for now.
After using your suggestion, I was able to copy the file from my cd and run it which was supposed to allow me to run Linux in graphics mode, but all I got was errors.
I spent many hours after that trying other options but no luck.
I'm beginning to think it is not possible to run fed5 x64 on a dual core cpu and use anything but text mode.
I've wasted a lot of time trying many suggestions from many sources in the linux community and still can't get a usable setup.
I'm done.
I'm exhausted,
I think I should just stick to Windows.

I do appreciate the help, but I am so frustrated at this point that I think I should just wait a few years and see if a version of linux comes out that comes even close to being as good as windows as far as installation is concerned.
DS2K3
I think that's called the "Fedora Effect". I also gave up on Fedora, and I was certianly not new to Linux... Maybe have a go with a distro like Mandriva when you get over the trauma biggrin.gif

D
g33k
i understand its quite frustrating...(it was the same case with me just 6 months or so ago)..
I agree with DS2K3..you should give a try at a stable version like Mandriva 2006 or SuSE 10 (fedora core 5 is relatively new and has many changes from earlier releases of fedora)
But seriously you would love Linux once you get started with it !! It may take a while though.. smile.gif
sudsucker
I tried mandriva a few months ago on another machine and was stuck in text mode there too.
I know I would really love to get into Linux but so far the only amusing part about it was reading the spam email I got while in text mode (amusing because the pc was sitting idle while i was reading my book and the screen got flooded with text as the spam came in.)

I haven't given up just yet, but this must be the 20th time I've re-installed it in the past week. Everytime I try a suggestion on how to get the nvidia card to work the thing wont boot or the suggestion doesn't work so I reinstall a fresh new copy to make sure nothing from the previous attempt can screw it up.

Thanks again for the help and know that I really appreciate everyone's efforts.
g33k
ok let me tell u what i do while trying out stuff or making stuff work..
backup data (get ready for a crash )..try until the current system doesnt allow me to play with it anymore (either it won't boot fine or it would show some really terrifying error !!)...then i would go into other OS(windows xp) and search the net for stuff save it as text and then access it in failsafe terminal and modify system (i do everything on one system)..if thats impossible reinstall linux biggrin.gif
However each time you reinstall u learn something important n tricky and the next time u install the OS, the same problem won't bug u wink.gif

well if all the Linux(es) out there stop with text mode then there is something wrong with the installation procedure or it doesnt recognise ur hardware (not sure !!)
If u wanna try just once more with fedora 5..you may like to have a look at these :
http://stanton-finley.net/fedora_core_5_in...tion_notes.html
http://www.mjmwired.net/resources/mjm-fedora-fc5.html
sudsucker
thanks g33k for the info. As of now (and thanks to your help) I was able to run the nvidia driver installer after copying it off the cd. Actually, I was able to mount the cd but the volume label was created by my windows burner software and put a space in the volume label. I burned another cd with a more linux friendly volume lable and ran the installer. It wasn't able to install but it did give a reason why so I wound up using yum to update the kernel and immediately after reboot I got yet another problem- kernel panic which was followed almost immediately by a user panic (me being the user). Evidently, I'm having problems with my sata raid so I've just popped in an ide drive and set it to be the master boot drive. Am reinstalling linux as I type this. I'll write a book about the experience if I ever get it to work.
g33k
if you've got a space in the volume label you could have accessed it by using the space with \ like
CODE
cd xxx\ yyy

would change the directory to xxx yyy smile.gif
hey you can also use tab to autocomplete directory and file names and even commands in a linux terminal..
sudsucker
I've been busy off and on lately and haven't had much time to work on getting Linux installed,
But I would really like to extend my thanks to q33k and DS2K3 for all the help.
I've tried installing fed 4 and the latest mandriva with no luck. Fed 4 gave me the same no graphics issues as fed5 and the mandriva installer gets about half way through when my mouse quits, then my keyboard quits and I can't complete the install.
I tried replacing mouse and kbd with old fashioned ps2 versions but same results.
Maybe since I put my pc together myself, and it isn't exactly off the shelf, I'm doomed to a text only linux world. I will occasionally try some other distros to see if I can get one to work, but right now I'm not going to get my hopes up.
I'm going to try to find if someone else out there has had any success with a pc configuration similar to mine.
I hope my machine's hardware isn't too uncommon and that someone else has found a working distro.

Maybe someone should start a noob's web reference for picking a distro based on hardware configurations. If I get a working version on mine I would be sure to contribute.

Thanks again to q33k and DS2K3 for all the help so far, and I hope to have a happy new linux installation success story to tell you about.
DS2K3
Have a go with the next version of Mnadriva/FC when they come out. Linux moves at quite a pace, and the next version might work for you. All my computers are self-build, but it only takes one component with slightly faulty support to knock your entire system over so waiting for a new version is probably the easiest thing to do.

D
sudsucker
I now have the latest SuSE version in (the graphical installer worked flawlessly) but the gnome desktop is unreadable and garbled. I tried installing the nvidia driver and now my problem is that it says i should make sure that the libc package is installed -and it can't find or compile a kernel (pardon for the vagueness I'm gonna get it verbatum and post later) and I should make sure that the path is set correct to the CC compiler.
I found the glibc package under yast and I think I have it, but I'm not sure if that is the correct package and I don't know how to set the correct path. I can't even figure out where the glibc package wound up.
Smart Naomi
how do i set a darn avatar on this board? i'd like to put up a picture
Smart Naomi
sudsucker
QUOTE (Smart Naomi @ Jul 18 2006, 06:19 PM) *

Click My Controls at the top of the page and look for edit profile on the left. You might get more help if you post in the appropriate sections of this forum.

Correction:

QUOTE (sudsucker @ Jul 18 2006, 11:16 PM) *
Click My Controls at the top of the page and look for Personal Profile on the left. You might get more help if you post in the appropriate sections of this forum.
g33k
QUOTE (sudsucker @ Jul 19 2006, 03:21 AM) *
I now have the latest SuSE version in (the graphical installer worked flawlessly) but the gnome desktop is unreadable and garbled. I tried installing the nvidia driver and now my problem is that it says i should make sure that the libc package is installed -and it can't find or compile a kernel (pardon for the vagueness I'm gonna get it verbatum and post later) and I should make sure that the path is set correct to the CC compiler.
I found the glibc package under yast and I think I have it, but I'm not sure if that is the correct package and I don't know how to set the correct path. I can't even figure out where the glibc package wound up.

So you got a graphical desktop smile.gif
I think you need to install the kernel sources using yast2 so that the kernel can be compiled..
Make sure gcc, g++ and libstdc++ are installed..
If it again shows errors then please paste them here..
DS2K3
Yep - nVidia drivers require kernel sources to build (they create a kernel module so require some stuff from the header files).

No need to recompile the kernel though - Just installing the source should suffice.
sudsucker
Just so I can try to wrap my brain around your suggestions, is a kernal module akin to a dll in the windows world?
DS2K3
Hmm - Not quite. A dll is more a library (.so file) which provides a common set of fucntions to applications. A kernel module adds functionality to the kernel, normally it is there to interface with hardware so forms an important part of a driver. Because a Windwos kernel cant be modified, it is not split into differnt modules for different jobs. The Linux kernel however IS pslit up, and normally you would only compile the bits that you need to run your own system.

D
sudsucker
WaHOOOOOO! I am posting this through the Firefox browser........

SuSE is up and running with the gnome desktop and I should have been in bed 4 hours ago...

I can't say thank you enough to you DS2K3 and q33k for the help and I will fill you in on how I finally got it going after a good nights sleep.

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you....

ZZZZZZZZZZZ..........
g33k
Congratz sudsucker smile.gif
Have fun with Linux..
Anyways a little correction..my nick is g33k (not q33k) wink.gif
sudsucker
QUOTE (g33k @ Jul 21 2006, 02:01 AM) *
Congratz sudsucker smile.gif
Have fun with Linux..
Anyways a little correction..my nick is g33k (not q33k) wink.gif

Sorry g33k (the underline threw me off). Thanks again for the help and by the way, since I'm a glutton for punishment I decided to repartition the drive I had installed on and start from scratch. So, of course, the install didn't go a smooth as I had hoped.
Earlier attempts to get fed 5 installed left me without windows too (I mistakenly installed grub on the MBR). So I decided to pop another hard drive in and put Linux there. After reinstalling windows on my raid drives, I decided to put Linux on the drive connected to the first ide master. (suse doesn't support the raid array I am using anyway so that worked out fine for me).
The SUSE graphical installer worked just fine for the installation but I again had no usable desktop (this time I installed KDE instead of gnome to check it out). Again I had problems figuring out how to mount the nvidia driver from the cd I had burned it to but after reading your earlier suggestions in this post it began to click in my head how the mount command is structured and I succesfully mounted it and copied it to my hard drive so I could begin to get the graphics working again.
I found detailed directions on how to install the NVIDIA driver on the SUSE web site and was able to get it to work with some minor head scratching.
I can't thank you guys g33k and DS2K3 enough for the help and I'm sure I'll be back soon with more questions.
I think I might also post some newbie tips of my own for those with hardware similar to mine if you think it would be a good idea.
g33k
I think I might also post some newbie tips of my own for those with hardware similar to mine if you think it would be a good idea.

Sure sudsucker..i think many people can benefit from your experience..so please contribute smile.gif
DS2K3
We have a wiki for that sort of thing - http://wiki.linuxhelp.net

I think you need to register, but I dont tihnk you need to get your account approved anymore (the SPAM bots dont seem to). Add it to the "guides" section or something.

D

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAh - The wiki is gone! Don't panic Mr Mannering. I'm on it - Or rather i'm on at someone to be on it.
sudsucker
QUOTE (DS2K3 @ Jul 23 2006, 06:26 AM) *
We have a wiki for that sort of thing - http://wiki.linuxhelp.net

I think you need to register, but I dont tihnk you need to get your account approved anymore (the SPAM bots dont seem to). Add it to the "guides" section or something.

D

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAh - The wiki is gone! Don't panic Mr Mannering. I'm on it - Or rather i'm on at someone to be on it.

lol,
the hardware section is empty and I think I have a suggestion but I have to work out how to get sound working and also the boot loader (grub in my case).
I have system sounds right now but can't hear audio cds or mp3s but I think I want to tinker a little more before I get specific.
g33k
For sounds and mp3 support install libxine and then amarok-xine if you wanna use amarok wink.gif
Here is a nice article..
DS2K3
The CD issue is probably because of the way CD players get data to the cound card. Traditionally, it was done using a cable directly from the CD player to the soundcard. With faster processors, it has become more popular to play via the processor and keep it digital until the last minute. Basically, you just have to tell the CD player program to use "digital" playback. The method varies between players though, and some may only support one or the other.

D
sudsucker
That's a really great article g33k! Thanks again.

DS2K3- will try your suggestion and let you know. Thanks again. smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.