Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: HUGEproblem, need help asap
Linuxhelp > Support > Technical Support
Joelk04
Okay well here is the deal.

First off, I'm a newbie to linux, which is why I used a GUI. So I don't know a whole lot about the command line outside basic commands. So step by step help would be best. Just for reference I'm running on an x86 machine (p4 2.4Ghz) and running Fedora Core 5.

Alright now to the HUGE prolem. Basically this is what happened. I had 2 drives = 280GB but I got a sweet deal in a 320GB drive from work, so I picked it up and put it into my server. I took all the files that I needed off the server and put them onto my other computer which had enough space to keep them temporarily. I then installed the drive and formatted (or so I though) the drives that were in the computer using fdisk.

I then proceeded to install Fedora Core 5 (previously running FC3). I set my Samba server back up and transfered the files back to the server. Then I noticed that it was only using the 2 SATA drives and not the IDE drive. So I used the Logical Volume Manager built into Gnome (the GUI included in FC5) to mount the IDE drive into the LogVol00. I then futzed around setting up useres and shares for everyone in my family in SAMBA server settings. All seemed well and good. I restarted the machine and now it won't boot. It just goes into the GRUB prompt. so I tried to unplug the ide drive which didn't help either. My guess is the format didn't get rid of the boot sector on the IDE drive and now FC5 doesn't know which disk to boot from.

Basically my issue is this. I need to boot into FC5 so I can atleast start SAMBA to get my files back. From there I will once again (hopefully with help this time) format and reinstall FC5 and get everything back to working condition.

But yah, first things first, I need to get into FC5 so I can atleast get my files off my drives.
DS2K3
Without more of a description of what actually ahppens ther eis not much we can do. What does GRUB say? Do you get any errors?
Joelk04
QUOTE (DS2K3 @ Jun 15 2006, 07:14 AM) *
Without more of a description of what actually ahppens ther eis not much we can do. What does GRUB say? Do you get any errors?

No it doesn't seem to have any error messages at all. I will get the exact wording later, but it just says something like "Minimal BASH-Line editing is supported" and some other things but doesn't say anything about errors at all. Then it just sits at the GRUB prompt. It is driving me insane.

If I connect the SATA drives to a Windows PC would I be able to get the files or no? I'm not sure if the filing systems are compatible...but like I said, I can't lose the stuff on the drives.
DS2K3
Windows is not natively capable of reading Linux filesystems. You could boot a liveCD like Ubuntu and try to access the files through that.

This is proabbly the last thing you want to hear - But you REALLY need to keep backups of important files. This will not be the last time something goes wrong, and all hard disks crash eventually. You are lucky that this event hasnt actually erased any data - But you mightn't be so lucky next time.

D
Joelk04
QUOTE (DS2K3 @ Jun 15 2006, 11:31 AM) *
Windows is not natively capable of reading Linux filesystems. You could boot a liveCD like Ubuntu and try to access the files through that.

This is proabbly the last thing you want to hear - But you REALLY need to keep backups of important files. This will not be the last time something goes wrong, and all hard disks crash eventually. You are lucky that this event hasnt actually erased any data - But you mightn't be so lucky next time.

D

I understand that, but the only time the disk failed to work was after I added IDE drive to the logical volume. It worked even after, only until the reboot.

Is there a command to get it to boot from a specific drive or something?
DS2K3
There is a list of grub commands at http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/linux/R...b-commands.html

You will need to know the name of your kernel and initrd

You need to run the kernel command, the initrd command possibly the root command and then the boot command.
Joelk04
QUOTE (DS2K3 @ Jun 16 2006, 07:27 AM) *
There is a list of grub commands at http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/linux/R...b-commands.html

You will need to know the name of your kernel and initrd

You need to run the kernel command, the initrd command possibly the root command and then the boot command.

Thanks for alll your help thus far.

Is there a way to find any of the info out without booting?

Also is there a way to temporarily boot into a GUI from the Linux Rescue disk that may make recovery easier?
Sentinel8o

I would try to boot from a bootable linux cd and see if you can access those files you need. just pop in the cd let it boot from there and use it to rescue your files. Would be easiest i think...you could save your files to a floppy or thumbdrive. If you get the files there would really be no need to restore the os right? you could just reformat and reinstall it. knoppix is a good bootable cd =)

http://www.knopper.net/knoppix/index-en.html
http://www.pclinuxos.com/page.php?7
Joelk04
Thanks guys for all the help.

I have a guy I work with who works for Google whos going to come and fix everything for me.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.