Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Mail server setup
Linuxhelp > Support > Technical Support
fullur
Could someone point me in the direction of a good (preferably idiot proof tongue.gif ) guide for setting up a mail server please? I am using Fedora Core 5 in case that matters. Also somewhere to get instructions for how to use MX Records would be good. smile.gif

Oh yeah, it's an apache web server. wacko.gif
fullur
K, so I downloaded webmin and logged into it. In a word; daunting. I have no idea where to start or if I even need to change anything. Anybody able to point me in the right direction?
DS2K3
Webmin has an excellent module for configuring postfix (under servers), which is pretty well documented. Help is available for most fields by clicking the text which describes it.

So, I would start by isntalling postfix. After that, just work your way through the Postfix module reading the docs and deciding if you need to change it from the default. Most people only need to alter the first few settings under "General Options" but you should make sure that the server is properly zsecured to prevent people from using it to send Spam. Ideally, it would only accept outgoing mail from within the LAN.
fullur
I found out that I was trying to set up the wrong thing (for the moment). What I was actually trying to set up is a POP3/IMAP server. I want to set up SMTP as well but I want to get this done first. I think I have settled on Dovecot unless someone has a better suggestion. When I get to it I will be using Postfix for SMTP. What I need is something that provides instructions on how to set up dovecot and also some kind of information on what my MX records should look like. I tried searching for this stuff but what I found was not very helpful. Anyway, if anyone could help me out I would appreciate it.
fullur
Anybody got any ideas on this? Or maybe somewhere I could look or ask? I've tried a few web searches but was not able to find anything I could use.
jayakrishnan
If you want to learn, the best way is thru command line and reading thru tutorials/man pages
fullur
QUOTE (jayakrishnan @ Jul 11 2006, 03:35 AM) *
If you want to learn, the best way is thru command line and reading thru tutorials/man pages

Okay, could you suggest a place with a good tutorial? I have tried the "dive in" method of learning and it just doesn't work for me.
jayakrishnan
Depends on which MTA u want to setup.

QMail , sendmail , postix, Exim , which one?

www.lifewithqmail.com for qmail
DS2K3
Once you have isntalled the dovecot package, just open the config file (/etc/dovecot.conf for me, but it might be somehwer else in /etc for you). It is pretty well commented, and you may well not need to edit it. Just amke sure that all your mail servers (SMTP and IMAP/POP) use the ssame strage method - Either maildir (which is newer and preferable in a lot of situations) or the old style single-file approach. If you use maildir, pick a directory name (i use .mail, but a lot of systems use MAil by default [ a subdir of the users home directory]) and then stick with it.

The official dovecot site should have more than enough info to get it up and running.

I don't reccomend that you use your own MX records - Instead you are probably better off using something like ZoneEdit (or whatever you curretnly manage your domain name with) to forward mail for your domain to another address. If your server goes down, and you have no backup, the mail will just start to bounce and you might not get something important.

D

http://wiki.dovecot.org/BasicInstall is probably what you need.

For Postfix, the webmin module has good documentation for most options, and you normally only need to edit the first few options.

Postfix has about 100 configuration parameters that are controlled through configuration files. Fortunately, they have sensible default values. In most cases, you need to configure only the three parameters presented here in Most Useful General options before you can actually use the Postfix mail system

D
fullur
Okay. I am actually working on that now. I couldn't find any good guides to the setup. (Maybe that's because it's simple enough a trained monkey could do it. Unfortunately, I am not trained. tongue.gif ) What I did find basically pointed me to the quick setup stuff on the respective program's site. Anyway, thanks for the assistance. I will report back here when I have gotten it all set up.
fullur
Could someone provide me with a copy of the default Dovecot FC5 config file? I messed up the configuration so that I can't even start the service now and I don't know what it was like when it was working. tongue.gif
DS2K3
Uninstall, then reinstall it

D
fullur
QUOTE (DS2K3 @ Jul 17 2006, 11:44 AM) *
Uninstall, then reinstall it

D

That's actually what I was thinking, unfortunately I seem to have screwed up YUM so that it is unusable (I get a cElementTree error) and when I run ./configure on src packages it tells me that there is no acceptable compiler available, which keeps me from being able to install anything at all. (I have this all in another thread - YUM is screwed - as well) I am hoping to avoid having to re-install Fedora.
fullur
I managed to get ahold of a copy of the default configuration file. So my Dovecot is back up. I'm still not really sure how I messed it up to begin with... now, back to trying to get it to work the way I wan it to. cool.gif
g33k
QUOTE (fullur @ Jul 18 2006, 01:02 AM) *
I managed to get ahold of a copy of the default configuration file. So my Dovecot is back up. I'm still not really sure how I messed it up to begin with... now, back to trying to get it to work the way I wan it to. cool.gif

I think you can get hold of the configuration examples for dovecot in
CODE
/usr/share/docs/dovecot-xxxx
Nidhin Tomson
www.qmailrocks.org is a good place to start with if u like to use qmail as the MTA
fullur
Okay, so I think I had an epiphany! Is the SMTP server the one that handles receiving mail as well? In which case the pop3/imap would just handle serving the emails to remote locations? So when I said that I wanted to get dovecot set up first I was really showing just how much of a n00b I am... tongue.gif Oh well...
jayakrishnan
u will need an SMTP server like Qmail, sendmail, Exim to setup a mail server, then u will need a pop server to enable pop access
DS2K3
SMTP handles all mail routing between servers. The only time POP or IMAP are used is when a client tries to get email. There is nothing wrong with setting up dovecot first, you can still test it out by sending mail internall using the sendmail program (which implements enough SMTP to send emails to remote and local users).

D
fullur
Wanted to let everyone know that my email server is up and running. It's a wonderful feeling to look at an email and know that you set up the process by which it was delivered. biggrin.gif Thanks for all the help. I still need to get my AV and my SPAM blocking program integrated, my attempts with amavis were not what you could call successful...

Anyway, I was going through my logs this morning and came across this:

Out: 220 mail.spiggyman.info ESMTP Postfix
In: HELO jordan.pp.org.pl
Out: 250 mail.spiggyman.info
In: MAIL FROM: <paypal@paypal.com>
Out: 250 Ok
In: RCPT TO: <bebedulcik@yahoo.com>
Out: 554 <bebedulcik@yahoo.com>: Relay access denied
In: DATA
Out: 554 Error: no valid recipients
In: Subject: 24.21.65.98
Out: 221 Error: I can break rules, too. Goodbye.

Is that as bad as it looks? Was someone else trying to use my computer to scam someone? I realized that while trying to get things set up I had opened up telnet on my firewall and did not turn it back off. I have now but is there something more that I need to do to prevent this sort of thing in the future?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.