Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Linux on remote machine!
Linuxhelp > Support > Technical Support
Ramandeep
Hello!
I am very new to Linux.
Please provide me some help!
One of my clients wants to install Linux web server, and this installation will have to be done remotly.
What all should i keep in mind before i do the remote installation.
Which software i should use for remote installations and what would be all requirements.

Thanks

Raman
DS2K3
That depends which distribution. Keep in mind that you cant do the whole thing remotely, because you need an operating system to handle the networking. Provided that there is someone at the other end to stick the CD into the drive, and enable the SSH service, then you might be able to do the rest. Gentoo supports it (after you enable the SSH server) and I think debian probably does too. Not sure about Mandriva or FEdora, but they aren't really cut out for servers anyway.

D
Ramandeep
Thanks!
Can i use RH enterprise server or RH Linux 9.
And for remote VNC is fine.
But in loading OS can we have option of remote.

Thanks
Raman

QUOTE (DS2K3 @ Jun 5 2006, 05:16 PM) *
That depends which distribution. Keep in mind that you cant do the whole thing remotely, because you need an operating system to handle the networking. Provided that there is someone at the other end to stick the CD into the drive, and enable the SSH service, then you might be able to do the rest. Gentoo supports it (after you enable the SSH server) and I think debian probably does too. Not sure about Mandriva or FEdora, but they aren't really cut out for servers anyway.

D
michaelk
Redhat Enterprise is the more up current distribution. I also do not know of a method to remotely install an operating system. However, Redhat has a tool called kickstart where you can preconfigure many parameters. It is designed for installing the same setup on multiple computers. You could presetup a configuration and then remaster the Installation CD. All the client would have to do is boot the PC with your CD.

http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/enterpr...t2-options.html
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.