Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: X windows confusion
Linuxhelp > Support > Technical Support
emme0032
I have my windows machine, and i am setting up a linux machine in my closet for work.
I want to use x windows to control my linux machine. I installed debian this morning, and then i installed kde. (i assumed it had the x windows client with it)

So i tried x-deep32(on windows machine) to connect.. it couldnt connect. The wierd thing is that after I installed kde, ports 715 and 111 had something listening on them. Before it was just 22 and 25. So if a x windows client isnt listening on those ports what is? I am now just starting the x-windows download and install.

Am i on the right track? I cant find a better guide for this than wikipedia, and that isnt very dummy proof.

It seems wierd that aptitude would install kde, but wouldnt also install x-windows.
matt_d
Make sure you have X installed. KDE and X are two different peices of software.
DS2K3
X normally wont accept connections from other hosts. On the linux box, issue the command "xhost +" to turn of the restrictions and see if it helps.

D
Termina
QUOTE (DS2K3 @ May 28 2006, 01:37 PM)
X normally wont accept connections from other hosts. On the linux box, issue the command "xhost +" to turn of the restrictions and see if it helps.

D

If you don't have access to the box at that time, do this:

su user
export DISPLAY=":0"
xhost +
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.