Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: nvidia.ko for kernel not found
Linuxhelp > Support > Technical Support
mrsnature
ok, here's the story i hope somebody can help.

I recently installed fedora 5. I used yum to update my kernel, then on the livna repository to get the nvidia drivers. They installed ok, but caused one of my 3d programs to crash. So i went to nvidia website and got the nvidia*.run drivers from there, and, after installing the correct src for my kernel installed them. Actually, i tried typing telinit 3 to close xwindows, but a list of things closing appeared, then it hung. I found that by pressing Alt-F1 i managed to get to a terminal.

The nvidia drivers seemed to install ok from here, and when i used telinit 5 to get back to gnome the drivers worked as they should.

However, when I reboot, i get the message "nvidia.ko module for my_kernel_here not found" and "disabling nvidia_glx" and the drivers don't load!

Any ideas why this might happen? I still have the control gui for the first set of drivers installed, as well as the new set , colud they be causing problems?

cheers, sam
Termina
Is the new kernel source installed? Is the soft link /usr/src/linux pointing to the new kernel?

That is probably the problem (or part of it).

Did you remove the old driver before installing the one from nvidia.com?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.